Extractor Fan Q Wiring Help Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if someone can help me out.

I decided to clean my kitchen extractor fan over the hols and somehow managed to wire it up wrong. :oops: As soon as I screwed in the fuse in the isolator socket, the fuse went pop and it tripped the fuse board. 've rewired it, replaced the fuse and reset the trip but it's now defunkt. Could the damage be limited to a replacement part? Also, how does the top row of wires go on the connecter block, (they are wrong in the top pic although the bottom row are correct at, LtoR; Red, Black & Blue, Green/yellow, Brown & Brown).

The fan is a Greenwood AirVac S200 B2

many thanks:-

PC241121.jpg

PC241119.jpg

Sponsored Links
In the top picture you have connected the Neutral Feed (blue from FCU) to the Live of the fan (red).
It should be connected to the Neutral of the fan (blue)

I would think a link would be needed between L2 and L1 in the connector.
Was there not one there before you dismantled?

Also, I presume there was no run-on after switching off.

Which part did you disconnect?
Where has the black and green cables gone?
A little note you should take down for yourself.
"when disconnecting cables from electrical equipment and accessories, make a note or take picture and mark up cables before removal"

Which part did you disconnect?
Where has the black and green cables gone?
A little note you should take down for yourself.
"when disconnecting cables from electrical equipment and accessories, make a note or take picture and mark up cables before removal"

:LOL: I actualy did draw a diagram but only of the wires on the bottom part of the connecter block :oops:

Sponsored Links
In the top picture you have connected the Neutral Feed (blue from FCU) to the Live of the fan (red).
It should be connected to the Neutral of the fan (blue)

I would think a link would be needed between L2 and L1 in the connector.
Was there not one there before you dismantled?

Also, I presume there was no run-on after switching off.

Thanks, the top row now reads, (from L to R), Brown, Blue, Green, nothing. Interesting what you say about the link between L1 and L2. This might be what's wrong. I don't remember seeing anything before dismantling but it could be that way. I put down the lack of any corresponding wire on the top row far right down to it having the two brown wires both connected together on the bottom one. I presumed these two wires needed conecting and were only in the connecter block for that reason. This was the first time this fan had been cleaned for at least 12 years and it was in a right state, although the wiring did have a cover so wasn't too bad. So, now I'm wondering if the fan isn 't working due to some component blowing when I wired it up incorrectly or if there should be a connector between L1 and L2 :confused:

I actualy did draw a diagram but only of the wires on the bottom part of the connecter block :oops:
Well that was illogical unless you have not removed the cables in the top side.
What is on your diagram?

I wrote:-

"Red, Black and Blue, earth, Brown". I had already removed the top wire when I noted this.

PC241122-1.jpg

I've also found this link with an external wiring diagram on page 9 so I'm sure it's wired up correctly now and it's a case of one of the 4 components being damaged. Question is - which one :?:

http://www.bizflips.com/library/pdf/GREENWOOD/GREENWOOD AIRVAC/GREENWOOD - GW_GA1_2004_3.pdf

I don't know if this is significant but the two speed switch doesn't feel the same since I put the fan back together - it's a lot stiffer and just doesn't feel right. I'm wondering if this could have been damaged when the fan was wired incorrectly?

I wrote:-

"Red, Black and Blue, earth, Brown". I had already removed the top wire when I noted this.
But when you came to reconnect it, what on earth possessed you to connect the blue from the supply cable to the red of the fan rather than the blue?

I don't know if this is significant but the two speed switch doesn't feel the same since I put the fan back together - it's a lot stiffer and just doesn't feel right. I'm wondering if this could have been damaged when the fan was wired incorrectly?
It is quite likely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back