Extractor Fan Replacement - Like for Like

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a bathroom extractor fan that has stopped working after 3 years. It's made by GET and the part number is GFAN412T.

It has a timer and a large transforrmer and large switch outside the bathroom.

I have managed to buy exactly the same one. Am I right in thinking I turn of the power using the big switch (I'll turn off the mains to the whole house for added comfort) and then remove the unit and wire it in exactly the same way.

I'll also take a picture of the wiring to avoid any issues.

I'm quite good with DIY is this a sensible approach?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Yes, I did the same myself a few weeks ago.

A straight replacement of an existing part, therefore no issues with part p AFAIK.

BUT, if you have any doubts whatsoever, do not do it.

Water and Electricity do not mix..... ;)

There should be three to the transformer, Live, Neutral, Earth, and two to the fan Live, Neutral.

Mine also included a light (it was above the shower), and therefore there were four to the fan, two for the light and two for the fan.

The only difficulty I had was removing the whole lot through the hole left by the fan, as the transformer was in the ceiling space and is about the size (and the weight) of a brick.

As I said, if you are unsure get a pro to do it.

Sponsored Links
AFAIK, and it's made pretty clear in the Part P guide as issued by HMG.

A straight replacement of an existing item for maintenance purposes (switch, fan, socket, ceiling rose, etc, etc) is classed under Part p as not notifiable, even in 'special areas'. i.e. Bathrooms, Kitchens, etc...

So, yes you have to 'comply' with Part P, and if you do a straight replacement, you are complying with Part P. As it would appear to state that there it no need to notify, or indeed have it checked and signed off by a competent person.

As I said, if you are hesitant, get a pro to install it.

all in all if I turn everything off from the switch and mains, take a picture and install the new one like for like.

Surely there isn't a problem with doing this? How hard can it be? I know I'm not qualified but if I take a picture of added security and work backwards I should be OK shouldn't I.

Who thinks this is a bad idea? The fan was £30 and I'm not keen on paying someone £100 to fit it.

Any advice?

AFAIK, and it's made pretty clear in the Part P guide as issued by HMG.
It is, and you'll find it on p5 of the current Approved Document, p2 of the one which comes into force on April 6th.

A straight replacement of an existing item for maintenance purposes (switch, fan, socket, ceiling rose, etc, etc) is classed under Part p as not notifiable, even in 'special areas'. i.e. Bathrooms, Kitchens, etc...
Part P has nothing to do with notification - it's about safety.

So, yes you have to 'comply' with Part P, and if you do a straight replacement, you are complying with Part P.
Not necessarily.

You might do it incorrectly. The item you replaced might not have been the right sort/in the right place/properly installed originally.

As I said, if you are hesitant, get a pro to install it.
Indeed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back