Extractor fan required yes/no

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I am in the process of refurbishing my family bathroom. We are fitting a seperate shower cubicle, the room is roughly 8ft x 5ft . There is an opening window of around 2ft x 2ft. I live in Edinburgh, am I required to fit an extractor fan or would it be advisable to do so ? Any comments most welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
any room with a bath or shower needs an extractor. For best results fit it to come on automatically with the light switch, every time, since some people have a mental aversion to ventilation and will resist turning it on. If you can get one with a timer overrun this will be helpful but not essential.

Put it as high as you can, close to the shower but not directly above a bath or shower due to electrical safety regs.

If you have a window in the bathroom then you do not need it to come on with lights under regs. If no window then it must ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help, I am planning to fit one with a timer, however I will steer clear of above the bath and shower cube.

You can hire a "core drill" which will cut a nice round 110mm hole in a brick wall that you can poke a plastic duct through. It is surprisingly easy and neat. When I hired one I did holes for shower, tumble drier, utility room and workroom in half a day because I found it such and easy job (I had only intended to drill one hole).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back