Extractor fan wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Fitting an extractor with timer and humistat and seems to have problems.

I have wired it using 3core & earth cable, and taken Live & Neutral from the loop, and switched live from the switch side in the rose. I have included wiring diagram with extractor.

When connected the fan runs all the time, even with the timer set to zero and humistat turned down. I've swapped switched and permanent live, which means the extractor only comes on when the lights are turned on, so that its not running all the time

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Try swapping the wires back
And adjust the humidity stat fully the other way.

Thanks will try this out.

Fitted it Tuesday evening, and was still on Wednesday evening, would have thought it would have turned off by then. Also was adjusting stats while it was connected to see if it would turn off

Try this:

Turn light off.
Turn isolator off.
Set humidity fully the other way, and turn power on. If fan runs. Isolate power and turn humididty fully the other way. Turn power on.
If fan still runs, you have a problem!

Sponsored Links
When connected the fan runs all the time, even with the timer set to zero and humistat turned down. I've swapped switched and permanent live, which means the extractor only comes on when the lights are turned on, so that its not running all the time

so you are saying that the fan works with the light switch now? that's how it's suppose to work. You just need to adjust the humidity level now.

so you are saying that the fan works with the light switch now? that's how it's suppose to work. You just need to adjust the humidity level now.

Correct, but even with timer turned up, it doesn't stay on after lights are turned off.

I'll double check it all tonight if I get a chance

Bear in mind that a humidistat checks humidity levels - that doesn't just mean the humidity levels left by the bath/shower water, but includes the humidity level in the atmosphere. To minimise the atmospheric background effect, run it with the door and windows shut.

pj

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back