Extractor fan wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a standard extractor fan with timer for the bathroom, but I'm unsure about the wiring. My electrician ran a standard cable (E, L, N) connected to the bathroom light switch, ready for the extractor fan. But the fan requires two neutral cables in order to continue working when the lights are switched off.

Any suggestions for temporarily wiring the fan so that it works as a standard model (on/off with the lights), and then where to take a second neutral feed so that the fan will work on its timer?

Thanks, Dan

Sponsored Links
fans need 2 lives (a switch & permanant) to operate in timer mode and only 1 neutral.

Yeah, I meant live... two neutrals would achieve very little...

But is it possible to wire the thing up temporarily with just one live and one neutral?

Sponsored Links
That's what I thought. At least it will work temporarily. Where should I take the constant live from, as the wiring has already been set into the walls and covered with plasetrboard and tiles?

this is why i hate all this crap about "safe zones"..

if it's in a safe zone, then a cable doesn't need capping and is more likely to be just plastered straight into a wall..

when the cable gets damaged or need changing it's imposssible to replace it without having to re-decorate..

if you cables are capped, or in that oval conduit, then you can pull it out and replace it with a new cable..
since you mention plasterboard, i'll assume it's either dot 'n' dab or a stud wall, you might get away with it if it's dot 'n' dab...

alternatively, you can disconnect the cables from the switch and connect your 3core and earth at the light..

that is unless you had an idiot for a designer and the used "loop in" wiring at the switch.. then you're screwed..

"loop in" designers ought to be taken out and shot.. it's impractical, and a pain in the bum.. :evil:
they make ceiling roses that way for a reason people.. it's quite simply the best way to do it.. no question.. :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back