F.A.O. Roughcaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Roughcaster

Sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if you could help ?

You kindly gave me some advice on painting wet harl a couple of weeks ago.

When a concrete block wall is rendered ( scratch coat with Freeflo waterproofer plus top coat with Freeflo waterproofer plus wet harl ) is it fair to say that wind driven rain is unlikely to penetrate through to the inner face of the concrete blocks ?

We are located across the Moray Firth from you so we share the same wind driven rain !

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I don't see any problems at all with your traditional wet dash S/B123... Wet dash is a far more robust, dense, weather/rain proof wall coating, than dry dash,, and it has the advantage of being paintable,, which is handy because it can look very plain, (my opinion,,,sorry)........On the other hand,,, dry dash (roughcast),, because of the different colours of chips available, and coloured dyes that can be added to a mix if required, always looks far more decorative overall, (no need to paint). The dry chip texture finish is more open, but still very weather-proof.... As I said in another post to you, most of the new properties being built around here, right on the very edge of the coastline as you are, are mostly all "dry dashed" and they have no problems with that,,, so don't worry about your wet dash.

Roughcaster.

Hi Roughcaster

Many thanks once again.

The reason I am a bit paranoid about this is because the building has been constructed without having the recommended 225mm void below the DPC.

I was worried that wind driven rain could penerate through the outer leaf then run down the inside of the outer leaf down to the level of the DPC, then across the cavity to the timber frame.

As you say I can take peace of mind from the fact that the building will be wet harled.

Many thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Hi Self Builder.
Every Wednesday night from 7pm until 9-30 pm, is our Coastguard Team training night. It's something we never miss,,,,, anyway,, did you have another question?

Roughcaster.

Hi Roughcaster

Cheers for getting back to me.

The reason I am a bit paranoid about rain penetration through the wet harl is because the building has been constructed without having the recommended 225mm void below the DPC.

I was worried that wind driven rain could penerate through the outer leaf then run down the inside of the outer leaf down to the level of the DPC, then across the cavity to the timber frame.

I guess that I am worried about nothing that will ever happen ?

Would you agree ?

I think as you say,, you're worrying over nothing. Wet harl is very robust at repelling/shedding water.........Why was it constructed that way in the first place?

Roughcaster

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back