F.A.O. Roughcaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Roughcaster

I was wondering if you could help me ?

I posted a message in the building section regarding our wet harl which has gone completely boss in less than a year.

I would be very interested to hear your comments.

We have the house across the firth from you !

Sponsored Links
I read your post in the building section, and the reply given to you by Shytalkz. I can only agree with what he said about mortar drying out too quickly, and using the correct mixes for each coat. I would question the competence of person you employed to do the wet harl. This is now the second attempt and it has failed. There should be no problem scratch coating onto new concrete blocks if the prep and mix are ok, and allowed to dry/cure slowly, (a light spray helps). Most, if not all builders/renderers would do it this way. In an extreme case, you could fix wire lath or similar, to provide a key, but the texture of normal concrete blocks would normally suffice. I would certainly not let your man try again after what is now 2 failed attempts.

PS,
Please make any future question etc, open "to all" as you'll get a much wider response.

Roughcaster.

Hi Roughcaster

I am extremely grateful for your reply.

Someone in our village happened to mentioned that when the original scratch coat was removed it would have left the concrete blocks with a smooth texture as all the pours had been filled in by the original scratch coat and so there was nothing for the new scratch coat to adhere to ? Is this true ?

Cheers again

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back