F & E tank BUT no feed pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone shed any light on this? We've been living in a 1950s semi and the plumbing is pretty bad (lots of leaks, etc). About a week ago the feed and expansion tank in the attic overflowed as it is uncovered and some insulation fell in and pushed the ballcock down. As there was no overflow pipe fitted (!!!) the water started dripping through the ceiling. Anyway, sorted that out and have a plumber coming in to fit an overflow pipe and will get a cover for the tank. However, I've noticed that the F & E tank has no feed pipe attached, just the water inlet and ballcock and the curved pipe for the expansion. How is this possible? Where is the water feed coming from and expansion occuring? And so what's the point of having a water supply to this tank? Any advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Quite possibly a combined feed and vent. Closer inspection you'll find the feed from the bottom of the tank is teed into the vent pipe lower down, level with bottom of the tank.

Quite possibly a combined feed and vent. Closer inspection you'll find the feed from the bottom of the tank is teed into the vent pipe lower down, level with bottom of the tank.

OR the tank connector is straight into the base (which is bad practice but was common, especially with galvy cws tanks.)

Thanks to you both. Had a look around the F & E tank - it was a few inches full of dirty water but I couldn't see any exit pipe for the water to leave the tank. Will take another closer look incase I'm being stupid but I'm pretty sure there was no feed pipe coming out of the tank!

Sponsored Links
Found it! I moved the insulation away and there it was coming out of the base at the back! The water in the tank has a lot of sediment sitting in it so I didn't spot the outflow at first but I can feel where it is now. So there's two pipes attached to the tank - one over the top and one coming out of the back and both running down through the attic floorboards into the airing cupboard where the hot water tank is. Thanks to all for your help and advice. Great website :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back