Failed double glazing unit in dormer window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a victorian house that was owned by a DIY enthusiast with no idea of what he was doing. So far I've replaced the lethal boiler, gas fire, repaired the damage done by his plumbing and am getting the highly dangerous oven replaced also. There's a loft conversion that has all the planning permission etc. It has a dormer window with wooden window frames and metal double glazing units in it. The wood is going rotten and I think the double glazing has failed as it has condensation inside the double glazing. The question is (sorry, a long time coming I know) how do I go about replacing the windows and frames, can I do one without the other and am I better off doing both, would the dormer window hold a UPVC window and how much might all these cost?

(Actually that was rather more than one question, sorry)

Sponsored Links
Plan/budget both the window & the timber surrounding the dormer (mine turned out to be totally rotten under the tiles). Use a proper DG manufacturer/installer so you get the necessary conformity registration; e.g. FENSA or your local BC. As to how much it will cost; it’s is impossible to say without knowing sizes & looking at the amount of work involved, but I would say more than £300 but less than £1000!

Thank you. Am learning to budget on the high side and then add 50%!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back