Fan Assembly Disintegrated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our Worcester Bosch RD542i Fan Assembly was making a louder noise than normal for a few weeks. Today 'Error C1 - Fan Speed to Low' appeared on the control panel. I've taken off the fan assembly to discover a plastic disk has disintegrated into 4 pieces. It appears there's a small bit of plastic missing from the disk which I assume has ended up in the heat exchanger/burner.

Should I simply just replace the fan assembly or should the heat exchanger/burner be examined?

Here's a photo of the offending item https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-qD3WC17uZvbDNMeUl1MnBLRzg&usp=sharing

Thanks in advance,
Fraze

Sponsored Links
We will view you as a complete idiot trying to open up your boiler to do gas related repairs when you are not gas trained or qualified!

There is only one thing that you should do and that is to call a boiler engineer to rep;air it for you.

Tony

Indeed T.

OP how are you going to check the correct combustion of your boiler if you change the fan yourself?

Congratulations on winning this weeks Darwin award.

Why call out an expensive engineer when you can diy, it is a diy site after all.
I'm sure the op knows full well how to carry out the minimum checks of gas regs 26(9) as required by law, ensure the correct and safe combustion of the appliance and also to test the integrity of the case seal, after all it is his family he could kill if he gets it wrong.

Sponsored Links
If I was to respond in a similar way to the three above, I'd normally get slammed by someone saying that I'm scaremongering and that it's ok to carry out gas work on your own appliance (not used at a rental property) if you are competent to carry out the work.

Anyhow, if you are asking on a site how to repair a gas appliance, then in my eyes you are not competent, (gas safe or not). If you don't know what to do, hire someone that does, before you end up being in tomorrow's news.

James.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back