Fascia and Soffit work - Felt Replacement????

M

Milo19

Hi there,

I've been looking to vent my roof space as I have condensation it in. Whilst looking I found the soffit board vents.

When I purchased the house, my aim was to change the fascia and soffits for PVC...installing vented soffits boards.

Anyway, I had someone round this afternoon to do me a quote to do the work. They mentioned I may need to have the first level of felt replaced the roof.

I've been looking around the web today and found I can purchase all the materials to do the fascias and soffits myself costing around £230.00

Obviously, I am keen to do this as it'll save me around £1000.00. However, I am not confident in doing the felt myself! Im not a roofer!

I have found though uPVC felt replacement which have been designed to fit under the existing felt on the bottom row of roof tiles and save the cost of having to have the felt replaced.

Anyone recommend these? Anyone used them before, are they any good?

Sponsored Links
depending on the pitch of your roof and tiles on it.remove 1/2 rows of tiles,cut back the defective felt(you may need to remove the bottom tile batten).get some strips of 6mm ply wide enough to giv a fall.nail that to the rafters.lay a strip of 300mm DPC over tha,leaving an overhang into the gutter,staple or tack to the ply/rafter.then relay the tiles.

obviously if youre renewing the fascias you need to fit the new fascias first.

The rigid plastic strips which replace the raggedy ends of felt? Will do a good enough job.
Has been mentioned on here before that wide dpc does the same job and is cheaper.

I'm going to look stupid now.....

DPC - Damp Proofing Course?????

Sponsored Links
depending on the pitch of your roof and tiles on it.remove 1/2 rows of tiles,cut back the defective felt(you may need to remove the bottom tile batten).get some strips of 6mm ply wide enough to giv a fall.nail that to the rafters.lay a strip of 300mm DPC over tha,leaving an overhang into the gutter,staple or tack to the ply/rafter.then relay the tiles.

obviously if youre renewing the fascias you need to fit the new fascias first.

Would it not be easier just to replace the felt?

not if only the first 6-12 " is defective.old ruberoid felt is a metre wide so therefore you would need to strip more tiles/battens.the battens may split so would need replacing too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back