Bathroom fan venting down through vented soffits?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just seeking opinions over wisdom and means of attempting to reduce damp air flowing back up and into our roof space.

1930's semi; hipped roof with new (this year) tiles and breather. I had all 3 sides of roofs soffit and fascia replaced inc vented soffits all the way around. There are no vents at ridge nor tile vents, so it's cross venting only. Kind of regret not getting some ventilation further up but it's done now.

The fan duct was refitted to soffit venting down as it was through the old wood soffit. It's possible that a fair amount of air is going back up under certain conditions so should I gun silicone into slots of vented soffit left and right of the outlet?

Or is this not needed? Who can say?

T.I.a.

Sponsored Links
I would be tempted to block off the vents immediately adjacent to the shower vent for a distance of about 12" (300mm if you are a young 'un lol). So long as you have adequate ventilation around the rest of the soffits I see no problem.

Thank you conny. I was thinking along these lines but with not real world reference. Could do a smoke test :p. Will seal off a strip of the vents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back