Fast concrete mix for posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a 4ft chain link with metal posts installed in garden. Company said "Postcrete" would be used. Whatever it was it said 15 mins on bag.

I take it no ballast is required because it wasn't used? One post turned out to be loose, I told company and contractor returned next day. He didn't knock but parked slightly down the road. I appeared just in time to see him pour in a very sloppy mix into the hole presumably having dug out the previous attempt. He described the mix as "smooth" and said it'd take and hour or so to go off. Maybe I'm suspicious thinking he'd ran out of postcrete, but if it says 15 minute on the bag, won't this mix be weak? He also positioned the post right on the side of the hole instead of in the middle, which presumably won't help.

DaveJ

Sponsored Links
Postcrete works very well if done correctly.

Pour a small amount of water into the hole then top up with postcrete half way, more water again and pod it with a stick to force the air out, top it again with postcrete and water but don't over do it with water. It will set in 10 mins.

I've used postcrete on many occasions without problems. Once it's poured into the hole, give it a good tamp to ensure all of the air is out and the voids are filled.

Well, he didn't mix it like that. He did it separately and poured the mix in. Maybe it wasn't "Postcrete" but something similar. But the point of my question is that if the mix had more water than it's supposed to have (he admitted that it would take an hour rather than 15 mins because it did) is its strength going to be seriously compromised?

DaveJ

Sponsored Links
Too much water will weaken it, the right amount of water is okay but take longer to harden, why do it the hard way I don't know but the longer it take to set, the post must completely secure by supports to prevent any movement during drying peroid. If you can get the name of the product we can help you further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back