Faster fsb CPU on a lower fsb mobo. (Laptop)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gf's got an Acer with a 1.5 Celery. She complains about performance when playing back video and is threatening to go and buy a new machine on her credit card, which she can't really afford.
I've told her to double the ram to a gig and swap out the hard drive, both which will come to about £80. but I was looking at the price of Pentium M chips, she could get a 1.7 for about £60, but it runs on a 533mhz fsb. Her celly is 400mhz, Will a replacement chip downclock to the lower fsb of 400mhz. I seem to remember doing this with a desktop P3 many years ago, when I was troubleshooting a mobo, I'm not sure if the lappy bios is tweakable though (if that's what's needed). Anyone done this???

I'm thinking that the mobo drives the chip and not the other way round, so if mobo is at a set speed (400mhz in this case) then the Pentium M will comply provided it doesn't exceed the CPU's specification of 533mhz..

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 3613wlmi

Sponsored Links
Igorian said:
Let her spend the money. :D

The thing is, she's also saving up for bigger boobs, and choosing between those and a new laptop, I know which I'd rather play with! :p

Sponsored Links
Back