Faulty cooker or supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ImayKnow

Our standalone electric cooker is not working.

With everything on it turned off ( hobs, grill and oven) the wall mounted mains cooker light glows. But as soon as one of the actual cooker switches is turned on, the wall mounted mains cooker light goes off, and the cooker will not operate. Turn the cooker knob(s) off again and the light glows again.

Is this a problem with the cooker or the mains circuit supplying it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a poor connection in the isolator, probably the neutral leg, but it's impossible to be accurate without being able to test it. If you are not competent nor have the correct tools then I would suggest calling out an electrician (not the emergency ones in yellow pages though!!)

I'd agree with jj, you've lost the neutral. But this could be anywhere in the system, consumer unit, isolator switch, wall terminal unit, or inside the cooker. Hopefully not the actual supply cable between the consumer unit and the isolator.

There is also a (hopefully) very remote possibility that some blind sparky has crossed over your Live and Neutral cables feeding the consumer unit and you're trip devices are actually switching the neutral circuits rather than the lives. If this was the case , if the cooker trip has tripped you will get the effects you mention.

Also suggets you read rule 5

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back