faulty electric shower

New update:

Both newly fitted showers are leaking out of the bottom of the units. One is only slight, the other is very bad.
I've removed covers and run shower to see what's leaking. I can see that water is leaking from the outlet hose just before it fits into the screw in hose (external hose that hand set goes on).

Any ideas why both would do this from new? Am I doing something wrong?
Obviously they are under garantee, but I understand that Bristan charge 125 to come out and have a look. If they feel the fault is due to a manufacturing defect, they'll refund the money.
But I suspect they wont admit it's a manufacturing fault.

Anyone any ideas what I should do?

Sponsored Links
You have fitted the rubber washer in the end of the hose before screwing it on haven't you ?

Have you a pic of where it's leaking ?
They are just rebadged newteam showers.

Washer is defo in place.

Just trying to work out how to up load a pic to show you the leak location.

Sponsored Links
Thats def a manufacturing defect.

I don't know how bristan work on coming out to look as i never had to call them out but triton etc don't charge until on site and the fault is proved to be yours and still don't always charge.
But give bristan a ring see what they say it may be a known fault and they'll send you new hoses.

I've spoken to Bristan.

They say they will send out replacement parts for free and then I fit them, or will send an engineer who will fit for me.
But they say that if engineer arrives and finds fault is due to bad installation etc. then they will charge 125 pounds per shower. But they want payment details before they will book the engineer.

I said why not send engineer and if they find a problem with the installation THEN invoice me. But unfortunately that isn't their procedure.

They say they will send out replacement parts for free and then I fit them,
ok

or will send an engineer who will fit for me.
But they say that if engineer arrives and finds fault is due to bad installation etc.

ok but i can't see how he can find fault with install to cause that pipe to leak.
As for blaming it on install id tell him to on his bike. :rolleyes:

These pipes are only held on at the top by a clip so poss you can fit yourself if you want.

They say they will send out replacement parts for free and then I fit them,
ok

or will send an engineer who will fit for me.
But they say that if engineer arrives and finds fault is due to bad installation etc.

ok but i can't see how he can find fault with install to cause that pipe to leak.
As for blaming it on install id tell him to on his bike. :rolleyes:

These pipes are only held on at the top by a clip so poss you can fit yourself if you want.

I'd love to tell him to get on his bike, but in doing so they would keep the money they take at booking stage.

I think I will have to fit myself but concerned how to undo the clip. Any tips?

Note: the pic above is one of the old units that I replaced. The clip on the hose is slightly different to the new one.

The clip should look like this.
there is a tool for doing them up but can be done with a pair of pliers.
useally to undo just place a screwdriver in the hole and twist.
NEWT-SP-092-3017.png

I suppose I could just use the hose off the old unit, but I feel I should get new brand new parts as it's under garantee.

Was hoping to get Brisan to come out and do it, but put off with their pay up front approach.
They want 125 pounds to visit each shower, yet they only cost 100 pounds new.
Ridiculous.

So if I insert a screwdriver and twist, this will undo the clamp?
How do I do it up again when installed?

The clip should look like this.
there is a tool for doing them up but can be done with a pair of pliers.
useally to undo just place a screwdriver in the hole and twist.
NEWT-SP-092-3017.png

What is the tool called for doing them up? Screwfix might have them?

Or if all else fails, could I just use an ordinary jubilee clip?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back