faulty electric shower

I get all my parts from george at showerdoc.
SOLENOID COIL

p&p £3.50 Nextday delivery.

Complete mk3 pcb/solenoid is about £31.

i would get a solenoid coil and try it.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks for all the tips.
Will let you know how I get on.
Cheers,
shr.

OK quick update on this (as described by my mum over the phone):

Apparently the shower will start up normally, run for about a minute and then shut down again. The low pressure light comes on.

Sounds very similar to the OP's situation. Did the solenoid solve your problem?

(I'm going over there tomorrow to see for myself but would be good if I could arrive with a potential solution in hand.)

Also, my Mum had someone look at it this morning who said they couldn't fix it. They suspected either pressure switch or float/flow switch ???
Any ideas?

Apparently the shower will start up normally, run for about a minute and then shut down again. The low pressure light comes on.
That answer ponits straight to a solenoid coil.
this is when you need to test the solenoid is still getting 230v
if still getting 230v then isolate and test for 3.4 kohms on coil.

Also, my Mum had someone look at it this morning who said they couldn't fix it. They suspected either pressure switch or float/flow switch ???
Any ideas?
faulty pressure switch/flow valve may cause a low pressure but not no water flow.

Sponsored Links
faulty pressure switch/flow valve may cause a low pressure but not no water flow.

Water does flow, but then shuts off after about 30 to 60 secs.

Wait about five mins and will then start again (via button).

Thats typical of a solenoid coil fault before it totally go's open circuit.

I called Shower Doctor today and they said same as you (solenoid valve and pcb now available as kit for this model.)
Guy I spoke to seemed to think it's more likely to be the pcb, but I think it would be either pcb or solenoid.

I'm going over to my Mums tomorrow so will test the solenoid. She has two of these showers (one is next door in rented house) so I can swap parts around until I can hopefully get it working.

With regards to solenoid change, should I just slide out the coil or do I need to remove the coil and valve as a complete unit?

OK I'm at my Mums now.

Turns out both showers have got a fault.

The one in my Mum's house is leaking water from inside the unit. (It's not the PRD valve).

With cover off I can see it's coming from the yellow piece right in the centre of the unit.

Any ideas what I need to do?

(Haven't had a chance to look at the shower next door yet.)

Thats a faulty pressure switch.

Pressure Switch Assembly SP-092-0291
about £11

Are there any instructions or videos for doing this?

Couldn't really see how to remove solenoid valve.

No videos etc.
move the shower hose tube out the way.
then remove the inlet supply pipe, isolating water first.
remove the clamp holding inlet and solenoid valve to backplate.

then the solenoid valve pushes into the pressure switch and the pressure switch pushes into the heat can with o ring seals and screws to backplate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back