Feasibility of extending garage by 1m

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm quite far on with planning what was to be a fairly straightforward garage conversion with small utility room extension. My wife has now asked about the feasibility of also extending backwards by 1m.

I have a structural engineer lined up but he's on holiday and is expecting to come back in a couple of weeks, finalise the designs and get the building warrant in. I'd like to get a sense of how difficult / expensive the extra metre might be first, so I can try to rule it in/out before he's back rather than delay the project.

The rear wall is 100mm blockwork, and the roof over the back section is low pitched (about 10 degrees) with splayed 50 x 150 rafters all taken from a circular steel bracket on the rear corner of the house. The new extra bit is hatched blue in the attached drawing.

I was already planning to strip, insulate and re-cover the roof in EDPM so making the surface a bit larger isn't a huge deal. I assume to get the extra depth I'd need to remove the existing rafters and rear wall, build a new wall further back, and then install new rafters. I'm thinking the current rafters are already quite long (especially across the corner to corner diagonal) so we'd maybe need to change that roof structure to something completely different?

We are going for a vaulted ceiling up towards the fixings to the house to maximise height so I'd want to keep a consistent pitch over the whole rear area rather than just adding a lower flat bit onto the end.

And of course I'll need new foundations, slab, etc. The extra area is just under 5 square metres.

Any rough advice on whether this is at the "doable for around the usual cost of a square metre of extension" or "complete nightmare to change the roof like that" or even "you'd be better just demolishing the garage and building from scratch" end of the scale?

Thanks very much in advance,

Andrew

Attachments

• 2018-04-15 22_25_02-playroom-qcad-v6-tidying-layouts.dxf _ - QCAD.png
    2018-04-15 22_25_02-playroom-qcad-v6-tidying-layouts.dxf _ - QCAD.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 148
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back