Feasible to level this terraced garden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you think it is feasible to get this garden leveled as I'd like to increase the lawn area?

If so, who would do it - a landscaping company, a builder, ground works (?), gardener,... ?

Also anyone got a clue how much it might approximately cost?

Sponsored Links
yes its certainly feasible but what is on the low side of the paved area? I'm guessing its a retaining wall which will mean you either have to step your new wall back away from it or potentially remove it and build a new one as the ground behind it may be fill.

Its all very hard to say without a much wider view of the lie of the land.

Personally its right up my street as a landscaper but you will find some landscapers are more into laying bark and turfing so make sure you chose one with a good history of retaining walls and paving etc.

A good small builder would also do but again you want someone who's done some retaining walls before.

Thanks for the reply.
To the right is the wall of a detached double garage.
I'd be interested to hear what relevance you think that has on things.
Apparently the garden is slightly too high in relation to the house's damp proof course.
I would add a wider view but I don't live there yet!

Thanks for the reply.
To the right is the wall of a detached double garage.
I'd be interested to hear what relevance you think that has on things.
Apparently the garden is slightly too high in relation to the house's damp proof course.
I would add a wider view but I don't live there yet!

It is likely the damp course on the garage will be lower than the new level of soil and turf so that is a problem that would need to be solved.

For a rough estimate i would need to now the size of the entire area and the depth and size of the area you want to raise how much wall in linear meters is needed and how far the upper level can be lowered and what sort of access there is.

But just looking at it and gauging size it by the fencing you have its going to be running into the mid thousands.

Sponsored Links
Maybe I should leave a narrow path around the garage wall. That would mean building a new (straight) retaining wall. Would it be cheaper to leave the high lawned side alone and just build up earth onto the low paved side or to lower the high lawned side too? Obviously I'd need to consider whether the current house damp proof level was a factor.

Aside from protecting the DPC, the other main issue will be access. You will be moving a great deal of material in and out, so labour costs will be high if there is only restricted pedestrian access and everything has to be carried in and out by hand or barrow

Maybe I should leave a narrow path around the garage wall. That would mean building a new (straight) retaining wall. Would it be cheaper to leave the high lawned side alone and just build up earth onto the low paved side or to lower the high lawned side too? Obviously I'd need to consider whether the current house damp proof level was a factor.

If you simply build up the low side you will not only need a lot of soil but you will need it moving into the area.

Using the existing soil from the high area means you do not need to get any in and a micro digger will fit through most garden gates so that will make moving the existing soil easier.

If you can you also have the option of removing the gate and a post or two so a larger digger can get through as setting a post or two and hanging a gate is far cheaper than bringing in tons of soil or leveling the existing soil by hand.

I was asking about the low side because if there had already been a retaining wall there you may have to remove and rebuild it.

If its a garage you will need to maintain an access path and build a new wall and the far side of the lawn seems to also have a fair slope so its really one to see on site before giving any figures. I could easily see you spending 3-4 grand.

With jobs like this they are worth doing right because they will add value and saleability to a house.

People often forget this and get sucked into a 2 tier option because its cheaper and easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back