Featheredge cladding - nominal measurements: what can expect out of 22mm thickness?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Been looking to get something decent that will last on my new pallet shed. So I have opted to go for 150mm with 22mm thickness. This may seem a bit stupid, but what can I expect to actuall get from these nominal measurements. All the suppliers mention their measurements are nominal of course - can I expect at least an 18mm thickness?

Thanks,

OB

Sponsored Links
Why featheredge if I may ask please?

For the money, I would assume you could get T&G shiplap which would be better IMHO.

Why featheredge if I may ask please?

For the money, I would assume you could get T&G shiplap which would be better IMHO.
F/E simply down to price, and the fact that the nearbye shed is also F/E.

The reason I started this thread as I received my order today from the local timber yard - advertised as "Treated Feather Edge 22mm x 150mm ". Yet the stuff is a bit on the skinny side.

The first pic is one of the thicker pieces which measures 12mm (the top piece in the photo) with many of the other pieces being even less (e.g. at around 9mm). With the nominal thickness being 22mm, is it not taking the pi55 that I am ending up with 9-12mm pieces??

And some of the thinner pieces are pretty much the same thickness - i.e. not featheredged at all (see other pic).

Grounds to complain or is this the norm?

OB

Attachments

• IMG-20150625-00236.jpg
    IMG-20150625-00236.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG-20150625-00242.jpg
    IMG-20150625-00242.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 154
Fair enough as regards having already ordered (FYI - nothing really in it between F/E and shiplap prices)

Yards will give a nominal size (22 x 150) and a finished size. The finished size will normally vary LOTS in thickness so, depending on what they stipulate, you may have what they said they'd supply. However, worth checking with them or their website to see what they say is the finished tolerance because you may have a duff batch and a reason for replacement.

Sponsored Links
I asked them about the overlap required but didn't ask them about the finished thickness, and nothing is stated on their website. I'll call them tomorrow and ask if they just have very wide tolerances. In which case I should have ordered 44mm thick in the hope that I end up with 22mm!!!:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back