Feed and (no?) expansion tank

Sponsored Links
I do believe there should be 1·5m (5ft) head to the pump.
A single 22mm cold feed should, as far as I'm aware, only be used on a boiler that has overheat protection (not all classics have this).

Thanks for responses.
Yeah the system was fully bled 4 weeks ago by the engineer.
No inhibitor added at the time as this was not deemed necessary until the source or air could be located (as full drain down may be necessary).
Within 2 weeks the problem or air was back just as before.
Pump been running (happily) on lowest setting (suggesting to me that there is no major issues in the transit of heated water - hence powerflush not required?).

I'm not familiar enough with regs/standards etc. to know whether 5ft of head is required (it probably isn't far off anyway), but I cannot see any indication of any overheat protection on the boiler. I'm assuming the Classic model number is RS260 as this is stamped inside, but there's no 'fixed' model number. I'll see if I can locate this boiler online and check the details..

:LOL:
Overheat protection is not standard - I found a manual online which says "If Fitted" :rolleyes:
Any easy (non-destructive) way of checking if one is fitted?

Sponsored Links
I would recommend you get another RGI to check your boiler/system.

Engineer did an interesting test.
Held a cigarette lighter to the bleed gas from a rad, and caused a flamethrower effect! :eek:
So I'm guessing the 'air' is in fact H2 given off by the corrosion process.
Going ahead with a powerflush and fill with inhibitor.

No idea if the loss of the expansion tank overflow is good thing or not, but its done now :confused:

Just to follow up on this one, for anyone who has a similar issue.
The powerflush seems to have done the trick!
I've been 'air' free since the job was done.
Cost a bomb though, which is a shame.
Some of the water being flushed out was very dark with corrosion particles, particularly the rad in the downstairs w.c.

The engineer also refitted the expansion leg, back to how it was previously, and also replaced the pump, and changed the expansion piping to be tee'd off a bit closer to the pump than before.

I bled the rads a few weeks later as suggested by the eng, and not even a bubble of air came out. He said he'd inhibited the system (though I didn't actually see the empty containers, so can't be sure).
Thanks to the warmer weather recently, I've not had the heating on much since, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back