Feed & Expansion Tank Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have problems with my fully pumped central heating system. It seems that I am getting excess air in my central heating system. I have bled all radiators (when the system is cold) and on each occasion there seems to be a lot of air in the system. When the central heating is up to temperature I have noticed that water is fed into the FE tank and then overflows out of the overflow pipe. This happens for approx. 5 minutes than stops. It is difficult to gauge how much water I am loosing but probably about 0.5 litres each time.
There is a bleed on the side of my hot water cylinder which I bleed daily (not much air each time I do it). The pump sounds noisy (excess air maybe?) for a while until things settle down (approx 10 minutes). I think the FE cold water feed may be blocked but can’t say for sure as it’s difficult to check. I am finding that I need to bleed the radiators about twice a week. I have topped the system up by “back feeding” a downstairs radiator (from a mains water supply) until water is allowed to drain out of the FE tank via the overflow pipe. I have a Baxi Solo 2 RS50 boiler and that too is quite noisy (I guess from excessive air in the system). Central heating works ok as does the hot water once I have back filled and bled the system. I don’t appear to have any leaks in they system and suspect the air is being sucked into the expansion pipe (for the FE tank) once things have cooled down. The Myson pump has a speed control and is currently set to “3”. The system is 10 years old and has been showing signs of problems ever since my boiler was serviced 2 years ago – this may just be a coincidence (could there be a bleed which was left opened during service).
Any ideas why this is happening – do you think a blocked feed to the FE tank is the cause of all my problems.

Sponsored Links
monkeyboy67 said:
... do you think a blocked feed to the FE tank is the cause of all my problems...

Don't know about the rest of your life but it sure will stop your heating misbehaving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back