FE tank overflowing and thermostat probs/post event analysis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I was wondering whether anyone may be able offer some friendly advice? In particular re: possible damage/ to system post incident?

Last week we awoke to find water dripping from ceiling below FE tank 10 minutes after HW & CH go on. After mopping up I found it's water level was swamping ball valve and overflow, dribbles coming from the seals at both of those pipes' entrance to tank. Water temp cool. Photos taken then show level in main cold tank (1"-2") high but below level of it's overflow (which goes into FE tank before exiting outside -hmm...I know).

I drained water in FE tank down below level of leaks, shut down CH & HW, closed two valves (mains & other - yep I'm not a plumber) in airing cupboard/hot water tank area, and called in heating plumbing man.

We have 10 yr old potterton gas boiler downstairs providing all HW & CH, serviced @ 2 months ago, cold mains to all cold feeds in kitchen and bathroom, hot water tank and pump/valve up in airing cupboard, and two tanks in loft.

Plumber comes Friday, and fits new ball valve to FE tank, following my guess that that may be the issue. He departs advising I monitor cold tank ball valve/overflow, as he feels he can't rule it out. After he leaves I review photos showing level in cold tank below overflow and ran both systems for several hours, monitoring levels in both tanks. All seemed fine, so I left it.

Sunday, went up into loft, found same type of leak/high water in FE tank. Temp:cool. Mopped up, lowered level, but left systems on to observe. This time cold water tank level observed @ 2" below overflow, new FE tank ball valve in place working. .. only other entrance for water to FE tank is unknown pipe coming from hot system.

Went online and found references to several poss issues including thermostat on water tank. Went and double checked found mine was loose, but issue masked by insulation...perhaps 1 cm gap between mine and tank wall. Also noticed metal band to hold thermostat secure was dropped down to floor, off thermostat. Photographed, then refitted metal band and thermostat to flush to tank. Checked setting @60c.

At this point HW checked and pretty hot from taps. Ran CH system on from @ 15.00 to 22.00. FE tank remained @ 150mm deep. Cold tank remained about 350mm, refilling when HW used. Both systems off overnight. Levels same in morning. Ran out some HW (bath, washing up) still hot from day before.

Later ran CH & HW, levels remained same for several hours. Turned off HW @ 11.00 and knocked thermostat down to 55c (preference, young child).

I will continue to monitor, but am worried that if thermostat was cause, overheating would have occured and damaged my system /tank...?

What would you suggest I do/check, other than get plumber out again to check systems?

Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Point to add. After correcting thermostat I also adjusted new ball valve in FE tank. Reset angle of ball on shaft so didn't rub on side of tank, and lowered ball slightly to further reduce max water level in tank from 150mm to more like 125-130mm. This based on advice on forums to have it more like 4" than the 6" it was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back