Felt shingles - drip edge at verge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to fit some felt shingles to a shed/summer house that I have been building.

I have looked at various manufacturers installation methods, and most advise a drip edge at eaves & verge.

I have looked at the metal drip trims, but they seem less popular in the UK and when you do find them, quite expensive. Icopal suggest making a welted drip edge using a batten, and folding the starter shingles back on themselves to create a 75mm drip edge.

This will be fine at the eaves, into guttering, but can't help thinking it will look a little unsightly at the verges, where the drip will partially cover the barge boards.

I had considered fitting the bargeboards after finishing the roof, so the top edge is above the roof line, a little bit like this:

Suffolk-Barn-Garden-Store.jpg

Maybe installing a 45' fillet at the verges, underneath the underlay, to divert the rain water away from the back of the barge boards.

Although I think it would look better as above, would I be asking for trouble using this method? If so, then I will go with a slightly deeper bargeboard to compensate for the drip overlap.

The bargeboards will be treated twice with sadolin preserver, then two coats of Superdec.

Also, on the subject of shingles - does anyone have any recommendations for manufacturer? I am considering Icopal at the moment, or some 'Maple Leaf' ones that JJ Roofing supply - both look very very similar in design (but I have not had a sample of the Icopal ones yet) - but the maple leaf ones are slightly cheaper.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back