Dry verge dripping on windowsills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have moved into our new home a month ago and we love it, apart from when it rains (and for a few hours after).

The windows are on the gable end of the house as is the door and when it rains water runs down the dry verge and drips off onto the windowsill making a loud drip noises, it's very annoying!

This happens in every room in the house as all windows are on the gable ends.

I've had one roofer come out (I asked many more but he was the only one who turned up) and he quoted nearly £2k to replace it all, but I wasn't convinced that would fix the problem as he said you still get some dripping with them.

My neighbours all have similiar systems but some of their windows are recesses slightly more than mine, but they are a different style of house and I don't feel I can go knocking on doors during lockdown/Covid times.

So my questions are:
- if we removed the dry verge, what would the mortar be like underneath? Is it best to go back to this?
- would having bargeboards installed and then a dry verge stop the dripping?
- or is there another option I've not managed to research? Can the roof line be brought further out than the windowsill?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Firstly there shouldn't be any mortar under the dry verge, extending the verge and installing barge boards would only work if the barges oversailed the cills.
A pic would give us a better idea.

Firstly there shouldn't be any mortar under the dry verge, extending the verge and installing barge boards would only work if the barges oversailed the cills.
A pic would give us a better idea.

Thanks so much for your response. I've added some pictures below.

Do people often replace a dry verge with something else, are there any other options other than the segments of plastic?
IMG-20210328-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20210328-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20210328-WA0001.jpg IMG-20210328-WA0000.jpg

Screenshot_20201018-081904.png
Screenshot_20201018-081740.png
Here is the full front and back of the house too (taken from the Rightmove ad when we bought it). Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Research constructing ladder sections to extend the verges and create a soffit and barge.
This would clear any rainwater run off from the cills and face of the building. Would look better to imo.
Once extended you can fit the dry verge system again with no issues.

https://images.app.goo.gl/p8tphJfbidfojMP96

Last edited:
Research constructing ladder sections to extend the verges and create a soffit and barge.
This would clear any rainwater run off from the cills and face of the building. Would look better to imo.
Once extended you can fit the dry verge system again with no issues.

https://images.app.goo.gl/p8tphJfbidfojMP96

Thank you! Yes that's what I like the look of too (I thought they were bargeboards) so thanks for their proper name. How much would something like this cost to do roughly? I'm near Warrington if that helps.

A tower scaffold would be needed at a minimum for access.
2 or 3 rows of tiles stripped out on each elevation to access the nearest truss to fit the ladder section, felt, tile batten, barge board and tiled and capped.
Hard to tell best getting 2 or 3 like for like quotes 3k in my area.

Terminology.

Ladder section
the framework constructed to extend your roof to create an oversail from face of brick work. Approx 150mm.

Soffit.
Underside of facia or bargeboard.

Bargeboard.
The finished verge...wood, upvc etc.

There are a few different methods to finish the edge of the tiles.
Segmental verge caps...plastic.

Continuous verge strip..plastic.

Wet verge with undercloak...mortar.

With some tiles a cloak verge where the tile and cloak are manufactured in one piece.

I hear of more problems after those verge caps are fitted than before.

The only good and good-looking dry verge is continuous. Not suitable for all occasions, but when it is, its the one to fit

Hey Puddles,

I'm 2 years into a Bloor new build and having EXACTlY the same issue.

Did you ever fix yours?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back