Dry verges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a builder out to quote for some work done on my 3 bed semi. New upvc coverboard on fascias, new upvc soffits, new gutter and down spout, on the rear of the house(scaffold needed over conservatory) and on gable end we have some dry verge caps loose. The dry verge overhangs the wall about 2 inch and have a couple of holes in the undercloak? . He claimed that he needed do trim roof tiles so that they would leave dry verge flush to the wall. Estimated cost £1500.
Have another estimate of £870 with scaffold to do the same overboarding with upvc and to fix the dry verges(presume just to screw them back on)

Just wondering why the massive difference? Any if prices are reasonable?

Sponsored Links
If I understand your post:
The verge usually overhangs by 50mm but what are the Mfr's recommendations for your Dry Verge?
If the dry verge was a retro-fit over a traditional wet verge, the wet verge undercloak would be covered by the dry verge - hence, no trimming of roof tiles.

What about any delapidations revealed during the work - eg rotted fascias or rafter tails or felt?

To me, the prices seem low for labour, materials and scaff (& towers?)? Has either of them climbed up and done an inspection before quoting?

Are they insured for dropping in on you through the conservatory roof?

Fully insured
If I understand your post:
The verge usually overhangs by 50mm but what are the Mfr's recommendations for your Dry Verge?
If the dry verge was a retro-fit over a traditional wet verge, the wet verge undercloak would be covered by the dry verge - hence, no trimming of roof tiles.

What about any delapidations revealed during the work - eg rotted fascias or rafter tails or felt?

To me, the prices seem low for labour, materials and scaff (& towers?)? Has either of them climbed up and done an inspection before quoting?

Are they insured for dropping in on you through the conservatory roof?

Both fully insured

Picture of gable end might help

[img=https://s32.postimg.org/i0yvmiapd/IMG_20160524_163940.jpg]

Not sure of mrf's recommend as it was like this when we moved in.

None of them have been up to take a look and I'm not sure if it was fitted over the wet verge.

Its hard to see the verge line due to shadow. Those dry verge are snap clipped, and screwed through the side - I think. They should be easy enough to refix.
After now seeing how your house is, I'd now say the £ 1500 quote is a reasonable price.

The problem with trying to give accurate guidance to you is that we all seem to be on the ground looking up without knowing whats happening at roof level.

Sponsored Links
Its hard to see the verge line due to shadow. Those dry verge are snap clipped, and screwed through the side - I think. They should be easy enough to refix.
After now seeing how your house is, I'd now say the £ 1500 quote is a reasonable price.

The problem with trying to give accurate guidance to you is that we all seem to be on the ground looking up without knowing whats happening at roof level.

Do you feel a need to cut the tiles back to have the caps flush to the wall. I know it would look a little neater but is there any need?

Quote or estimate? Estimates can change, quotes can't.

When replacing/overcladding fascias, this invariably requires work on the eaves felt or a plastic eaves tray fitted. Any good tradesman will mention this possibility.

Adapting the tiles depends on what verge system is being used, and whether the tiles are correctly fitted in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back