Questions about dry verges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to have the timber soffits, fascias and bargeboards of my house replaced with uPVC ones as well as installing dry verges.

I've already had a few different companies round to give a quote and the difference in price are up to a couple of thousand pounds. I have also got mixed information about dry verges from them.

You see, the cement on my verges are crumbling and so I thought I get it repaired. Some of the companies said to get the cement re-pointed and then fit dry verges on and so I was under the impression that the dry verges are there to protect the cement from the weather. They then quote me for both re-pointing and the dry verge.

Then some other people have said that there should be no cement at all, all the old cement needs to be taken out and the dry verge screwed directly on to the wooden lats. Hence, the dry verge is a replacement for the cement not an add-on. In addition, if I don't want dry verges then I don't need to pay extra for re-pointing the verges because when they are replacing the bargeboards they will have to remove the cement on the verges anyway!

So I just want to make sure what is the correct, no corner cutting procedure for installing dry verges? Do they really remove the cement when replacing bargeboards?

Sponsored Links
It depends what dry verge system you are fitting.

Most types will need the existing verge adapting to some extent
Individual caps will tend to need the existing battens extending, a continuous cap will not. But most types might need the existing undercloak removed to permit fitting, which means the mortar too.

You certainly don't need the verge repointing, and I'd avoid any contractor that says you do.

It depends what dry verge system you are fitting.

Most types will need the existing verge adapting to some extent
Individual caps will tend to need the existing battens extending, a continuous cap will not. But most types might need the existing undercloak removed to permit fitting, which means the mortar too.

You certainly don't need the verge repointing, and I'd avoid any contractor that says you do.

Had someone else saying that the individual caps are nailed/screwed onto the bargeboard. Is that also a legit way to fit these things?

Saw this video:

They just nail the dry verges onto the bargeboard. Seems a bit insecure as the nail doesn't go very far into the bargeboard.

Sponsored Links
The retro fit ones are horrendous massive ugly things, but yes they can be nailed into the barge board.

I would have thought that as you are having everything replaced, you would have some decent ones fitted, and these can require some alterations as the end of the batten tends to be rotten and soft or too short to get a fixing.

I tend to prefer a continuous dry verge system.

Interesting video Bnat, had some leaflets recently £150 per gable end on our bungalow - saw some done down the road off ladders, not a bad little earner - and great to complement your painted roof;)

We hate fitting dry verge but when the customer insists and throws money at us then when we do, we strip off the tiles, re lath and then fit the damn things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back