Dry verge tiles overhang big gap to bargeboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a detached property and the motar is perished in both gable ends between tile and bargeboard. The problem I have is, the tiles curved roof tiles overhang the wood bargeboard by a good few inches.

How do you get over this with dry verge that wont sit flash to the bargeboard ?. Theres a big gap between the bottom of the dry verge and bargeboard. Any wind would whip them off in minutes once it get under the gap.

Do you have to add timber to the bargeboard or is their a dry verge system that overcomes this ?. I'm getting to the point of just pulling out the motar and redoing it all. If I do do you decide to re-point whats the best mix
builders sand+cement
or
builders+sharp+cement with feb ?.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Sponsored Links
You cut the tiles to the appropriate overhang.

Was that not obvious??

Hi thank you for your reply but I'm not a roofer or it would as you say it would be obvious.

I asked just incase there's a system that deals with this issue as it must be a common problem roofers face

Normally the verge tiles are stripped out and new tile battens fitted to accommodate a dry verge system. More often than not the ends of the battens are rotten. Tiles are trimmed back to suit.

Sponsored Links
If you are going to have that problem then forget it and use sand and cement, those plastic things are rubbish.

Normally the verge tiles are stripped out and new tile battens fitted to accommodate a dry verge system. More often than not the ends of the battens are rotten. Tiles are trimmed back to suit.

So are you saying lose a row of roof tiles both sides then pack it out with batons ?

If you want a dry verge then consider a continuous type, not individual. You'll still need to trim the tiles to suit, and may not need to replace rotten batten ends, just trim them.

I'm getting to the point of just pulling out the motar and redoing it all. If I do do you decide to re-point whats the best mix
builders sand+cement

Try Remix if you are not sure .you will not go too far wrong with this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back