Roofline Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys - when the builder who helped me finish off the blockwork and roof woodwork was here, I didn't really know what I wanted to do with the roofline. Idiot self builder, of course!

https://imgur.com/a/zrUk7jG

So this is what he left me with. But, I've now settled on the following:
  • No bargeboard
  • Continuous dry verge
I'm therefore thinking that the uPVC fascia needs to return directly into the wall? I.e., no overhang, because otherwise the continuous verge isn't going to sit flat.

On that basis, would you suggest I knock out the wooden boxwork on the far left and right, get a small piece of blockwork cut in and then do whatever I need to do to return the fascia flush with the wall?

Sponsored Links
Yeah I think you’re right, unless you can rebate a bit out of the verge at the bottom, would only need 9mm fascia capping board thickness. So guess it depends how the continuous verge works.
I did exactly as you say ie fascia side return but it finished flush with the side wall not proud. Did a wet verge tho

You need to consider how the render works in terms of finishing at your roof detailing and the implications of future maintenance. For example, it would make sense to fix a hidden stop batten the same thickness of the render, at the points where the render finishes. This would give you a straight line to butt the roof-line products up to and could also be hidden by them and would allow you to remove them in the future without risking render damage or scarring.

Yeah I think you’re right, unless you can rebate a bit out of the verge at the bottom, would only need 9mm fascia capping board thickness. So guess it depends how the continuous verge works.
I did exactly as you say ie fascia side return but it finished flush with the side wall not proud. Did a wet verge tho

Cheers 23. Would you happen to have any pics for inspiration?

You need to consider how the render works in terms of finishing at your roof detailing and the implications of future maintenance. For example, it would make sense to fix a hidden stop batten the same thickness of the render, at the points where the render finishes. This would give you a straight line to butt the roof-line products up to and could also be hidden by them and would allow you to remove them in the future without risking render damage or scarring.

Yes, render is another ****ache when it comes to this side of things. I'm hopefully going to get the dry verge today, so I guess I can see how everything sits. So in my photos up there, you'd bring the uPVC out by another 5-10mm, and then in theory it would sit flush with the render on the side of the build?

Sponsored Links
Cheers 23. Would you happen to have any pics for inspiration?
56402378-9209-48AB-AA7F-4DF8431EE432.jpeg

I reckon this is the answer:

https://imgur.com/a/AafZrie

The black bit is the continuous dry verge. That should sit nice and flat against the wall, so to achieve that I'm going to put a piece of UPVC behind it, butted up to the fascia.

This was I can bring the fascia out into a small box section, which should leave some room for render, make it look nicer and also it means I don't have to remove that wooden form that's already there.

Any thoughts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back