pvcu roofline

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 60's house in Lanarkshire and the wood around the eaves of the house is rotten in places.

I am currently considering replacing the wooden roofline with pvcu.

I've had a few quotes from various companies which vary dramatically ranging from £3500 to £13000. I'm also receiving different advice regarding the way the job should be done.

A few companies have suggesting removing only the parts of the fascia/bargeboards that are rotten and replacing the rotten parts with backing boards and then cladding the wood with a 9mm capping board they would also cap the existing soffitts which look ok to me with a pvcu
soffitt. To prevent the underlying wood sweating and eventually rotting they suggest installing ventilation on the soffits.

Other companies remove all existing wood on the roofline and install a heavier duty facias/bargeboard and i presume heavier duty soffitts. I have been told by these companies that the reason all the wood should be removed is to prevent sweating of the wood behind the new pvcu roofline.

I should also point out that some of the more expensive quotes i have been given are for capping the existing wood with pvcu and for some of the cheaper quotes given the work would involve removing all existing wood and use a heavier duty pvcu. This doesn't make sense to me as i would have thought the second method would be more expensive for both materials and man hours.

I would be grateful if anyone could

a )advise the best way to do the job to prevent problems in the future .

b ) give me what they would consider a fair price for the job ie is there a reasonable cost /metre.

c)recommend a fitter in the Lanarkshire area.

Thanks

Terry H

Sponsored Links
How big is your house?

Get all the wood removed. :cool:

'Cutting out the rotten wood' is bull, no one does it, they just slap the plastic over when you are not looking.

I have just finished a job where the neighbours of 2 semis decided to have their's done at the same time.

I removed all the wood fascias and soffits along with the cast iron gutters and replaced it all with 18mm fascia's and square section gutters.

I also evicted 3 squirrels for free

In addition, I removed both toilet soil pipes (again cast iron) and replaced with upvc

I live in Sunny Lancashire where people are poor and charged £1900 for both properties.

but thats the type of guy i am :) Maybe i'm too cheap ? I made a good wage for 3 days work so i'm happy...

there a bunch of rip off merchants. When i get a chance ill post some pictures of my neighbour bungalows fascias that are falling apart with the wood behind rotting away. How anyone can justify 13000 for doing that is beyond me. Diyis free sounds a fair price but i wouldnt touch upvc with a barge pole anyway.

Sponsored Links
Do not have them capped, it just asking for trouble. You haven't said how big your house is, but about 5 years ago we had our house 4 bed detached done (new soffits, with vents, fascia's and guttering) all for about £2500. But the cost depends upon many factors. £13,000 is ridiculous unless your house is enormous.

I have some sympathy for people who don't like uPVC, but those who say it doesn't last falls apart etc are talking lobbocks IMHO. Beside who ever looks at the guttering and soffits ? The beauty eith uPVC is you don't have to apart from very occasionally when they have gone green !!

As for not being green, well doesn't require much electricity to produce cast iron or aluminium does it now?

diyisfree said:
I have just finished a job where the neighbours of 2 semis decided to have their's done at the same time.

I removed all the wood fascias and soffits along with the cast iron gutters and replaced it all with 18mm fascia's and square section gutters.

I also evicted 3 squirrels for free

In addition, I removed both toilet soil pipes (again cast iron) and replaced with upvc

I live in Sunny Lancashire where people are poor and charged £1900 for both properties.

but thats the type of guy i am :) Maybe i'm too cheap ? I made a good wage for 3 days work so i'm happy...

Thats a great price mate, you should get a shed load of recommendations. Roll on the summer! Bet the squirrels wern't happy. I still have the scar on my right hand from a severley p1s5ed off mother defending her young :eek: :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back