Fascia boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I need to work on the fascia boards this summer. Some of them are in a bad way with holes, others are intact, but the paint has peeled off. Some have PVCu fitted over the existing timber ones. I moved here a few months ago, so don't know the condition of the ones covered with PVCu.

Its a timber frame bungalow.

Firstly. I read that simply installing the thin PVCu covers over timber fascia boards encourage the wood to sweat. Is this true or just a sales tactic? Can it be prevented? Replacing the timber with PVCu is quiet expensive, but can do it gradually if its required.

Secondly. The fascia boards I have seen advertised on wickes site, seem to be larger at 175mm and 225mm. Can't get the exact measurements of the existing ones right now, but seem to be about 140mm. So can they be replaced, by a larger size? Will this require anything else to be changed?

Thirdly. They run both vertical and horizontal, like an L shape. In front and back of house areas at 90 degrees. Am I right in thinking these are all called fascia boards?

Fourthly. If I decide to keep some of the PVCu covering the timber boards, should I prime (where paint has peeled off) , paint and treat any rot, or can I just treat the rot and fit the PVCu over them, without priming and painting, as they may be temporary for a couple of years and won't be hit by weather if they are behind PVCu? I think it would be easier to just change the really damaged ones with new PVCu boards.

Thanks for advice

Sponsored Links
facial size plus19mm then get the next size up and trim [9mm cladding underneath covered by the "L" a further 9mm thickness]
facia vertical soffits horizontal bargeboards follow the roof line

with 9mm cladding you treat and replace rotten timber

with 19mm you remove the timber

eurocell building plastics are good

Firstly. I read that simply installing the thin PVCu covers over timber fascia boards encourage the wood to sweat. Is this true or just a sales tactic?

It's nonsense.

You can buy a larger board and trim it down. Don't fit a deeper one unnecessarily

Timber should not be rotting when covered by this, nor be exposed, so no need to prime. If existing timber is rotting then you have a leak from the roof

You may also require work on the eaves felt, or the fitting of a plastic eaves tray to cast water into the gutter

Its all called fascia or capping

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back