Fascia board replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wanting to get some advice on what to do here (you'll be able to tell I'm not the most experienced!).

Need to replace a fascia board and possibly put in new guttering too, find pictures attached.

The original work is rotting away, the worst section being to the left of the first picture, but there are other areas where I can already see issues as well.

The existing work appears to be 2 separate boards, not cut to same width, directly nailed in to the brickwork or whatever else is behind the boards. The gutter clips also appear to have been nailed in. The boards appear to be pushed up all the way to the top of the roof tiles.

What I believe I should do:
- Pull the guttering out.
- Attempt to pull the boards out without causing too much damage. Got my hammer and wrecking bar ready for this.
- Clean up a bit and install new board(s), nail in? Screw in?
- Fill any gaps with silicone.

I'm mostly concerned with what is actually behind the boards here, just brick I hope? Also, what material should I use for this job? Wood? If so, what to treat it with? PVCu like material? If anyone could link me to the right material here, that would be great!

Any other considerations I should be taking here?

08BCF0D4-9B8C-478A-BF44-76BDD0B095FC.JPG
BD7720A2-A1E5-4B9D-A167-A45DFE31E85E.JPG

Sponsored Links
Treat wooden with primer preserver. Let that dry off overnight. I'd only remove if totally rotten as only needs to take a few nails and some polymer grab mastic to hold plastic.
Cover wood with plastic.
New gutter.
You fitting felt supports?

Only a small section is rotted. You could cut that section off and just replace that. What you really need to do is find the source of the water causing it to rot and stop that. Otherwise any new section you put on will suffer the same. You must seal any water path that gets to the back of the board.

The wood you need should be the pressure treated variety. You don't need very much if you are just replacing a small section, and you don't need to do anything fancy with uPVC.

OP,
On the pitched roof:
Snap back the gutter clips to release the gutter - lower it to the ground
Prise out the nails holding the two wood fascia boards - lower them to the ground.
Its possible that the fascias have been fixed to a wall plate or rafter tails.
Look for the remains of any roof felt/membrane lapping over the gutter?
Then post pics of what you've exposed.

On the left the verge appears to show a sagging roof - is that the case?
The tile verge seems to have been incorrectly installed - a pic from the side might help?
When re-installing fascias & gutters then Eaves Protector Trays might be needed?
Go back with a Pvc facia - you can get it in suitable long lengths for your purpose.
Use screws for the fascia & clips.
The new fascia might need to stand-off the wall.

Sponsored Links
You'll do fine with plastic fascia . Available from diy sheds for the length you have

Last edited:
barred from thread

Last edited by a moderator:
barred from thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Treat wooden with primer preserver. Let that dry off overnight. I'd only remove if totally rotten as only needs to take a few nails and some polymer grab mastic to hold plastic.
Cover wood with plastic.
New gutter.
You fitting felt supports?
Sorry, what material would I use to cover the wood? It is quite rotten at the end of the photo, as in, I can probably break most of it off with my fingers.

Is this the sort of thing I should be looking for? https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-PVCu-Window-Fascia-Board---Anthracite-Grey-175mm-x-9mm-x-5m/p/190648

Only a small section is rotted. You could cut that section off and just replace that. What you really need to do is find the source of the water causing it to rot and stop that. Otherwise any new section you put on will suffer the same. You must seal any water path that gets to the back of the board.

The wood you need should be the pressure treated variety. You don't need very much if you are just replacing a small section, and you don't need to do anything fancy with uPVC.
I did try to find a water source, but there is no evidence of such. What I think happened: missus decided to paint the whole wall + board a while ago... I think the paint she used might not have been the best choice.

Take a list of what you need to https://www.eurocell.co.uk/ or other local plastic centre. They will give you a print off and price which should be way cheaper than DIY store.

Re wood. If it's that rotten then replace section.

I don't know what he said this time, he's just a bit manic but it tends to ruin the thread so I apologise on behalf of the forum. As above, replace any rotten wood and overclad with uPVC fascia. The only issue is that the fascia has a small return (it's L shaped) to go under the bottom of the existing timber fascia but this might get in the way of the trim at the top of the window so probably worth a closer look at this - I would advise against trimming the new fascia to fit as it invariably looks messy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back