uPVC replacement Fascia Boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to get the existing wooden fascia boards replaced by uPVC, the current wooden boards are starting to show their age and i've decided to go for the relatively maintenance free uPVC, this is what I plan on doing, could anybody in the know have a quick look over this and let me know if i'm missing anything? There is a lot of conflicting posts out there on google.

1st thing I plan on doing is sliding the 2nd row of tiles up and removing the 1st row so I can get into remove the fascias, the sofit boards are in good condition (made of some sort of cement boards had them checked and are not asbestos) just need cleaned down and a coat of white gloss.

Next i'm going to remove the guttering (which is getting replaced) and then the fascia boards, the end of the rafters are in good condition, but this where its getting a bit mixed up, some websites say dont nail the uPVC into the end of the rafter, others say as long as you use ringshank nails or screws its ok to do this, what would you recommend? The rafters are 60cm apart if that helps any. Some websites recommend adding wooden noggins to the sides of the rafters so you end up nailing into the side grain of wood instead of end grain, is this a good idea or not necessary? Just worried about the weight of the tiles on the uPVC, especially with the 60cm space between rafters, will it sag down in between?

My existing sofits have a continuous air vent running the length of the fascia board, the new fascia will most likely cover these, would it be best to trim back the L shape of the new fascia so its not covering the vents or just add some sofit vents or both?

Finally the felt is past its best at the gutter level, was going to cut this back a bit and either slide up underneath some felt support trays or some DPC, is this advisable and which would you say is best?

Sorry one last thing, do the new gutters simple screw into the uPVC or do I need to make sure they screw into the rafters or wooden noggings.

Thanks
Mick

Sponsored Links
Hello as I have done hundreds of jobs similar to what you R I can advise that yes it is ok to nail fascia directly into end of rafters, gutter simply screws into fascia I use inch and a quarter 10 screws for gutter brackets. 5 brackets per length of gutter. Usually we cover board if wood fascia isn't rotten and nail into that this also helps as no weight is on plastic. Soffit needs a batten screwing on wall level with the top of the lip on the bottom of the fascia so something to nail to. For peace of mind you could also screw some rough sawn timber to end of rafters then fascia on top yes use annular ring nails with the poly plastic tops to nail fascia to timber or rafters 2 in every spar. Nearly forgot yes the plastic eave trays R good for what you are suggesting but dont use damp course it curls up when it gets hot. Hope this helps any further questions do fire away. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back