Heavy rain while gutter, fascia and soffits removed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Yesterday, i had my fascias, soffits and guttering replaced with modern pvcu. Eaves trays were also fitted along with bird guards. The roof has felt and wavy concrete tiles from the 70s. The outer house walls are cavity walls.

When they were doing the front of the house, a sudden heavy rain downpour occured. Unfortunately, this happened while the roof had no soffits, fascia or guttering fitted. This downpour lasted for around 30-60 minutes, resulting in a waterfall falling from the roof to the ground. The workmen acted as quickly as they could to pull the bottom row of tiles back down and into place. The naked ends of the roof timbers were exposed during this time. Some water came through inside the bedrooms between the top of the window frames and the wall which i was able to mop up off the internal window sills. There was some further light rain while they were fixing all the new materials into place so it was never a dry workzone again.

Can i assume that now the new pvcu facias and soffits have been fitted and no more rain can get in, any water which got into the wall cavity and on the timbers will dry naturally and cause no further problems? It was only a one-off rain exposure for a few hours.

I'm concerned that even one exposure to rain/ water will cause the timbers to rot and the cavity/ walls to be damp and never dry out due to lack of open air. I know that the internal plaster around the window frame will dry out in a few weeks, hopefully.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
to further put your mind at rest
timber can go through several hundred wet and dry cycles without effect
timber will only rot when around a constant 19% moisture content for long periouds [months on end]
this is why the bottom off sheds and fence post will rot at ground level as thats the point the 19% is maintained
soaked wont rot and dryer wont rot

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back