Slate undercloak nailed onto battens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I bought my first house three years ago. The house is in gothic revival style and built in 1861.

recently I have had the bargeboard and finials repaired and replaced some part by a local joiner. Now, a roofer is putting tiles back but he decided to have a new piece of wood made and added by the joiner to the original bargeboard, because some part of board is very rotten and not straight line, he says the new wooden parts will protect the damaged wood underneath, and without it, he needs to fill some gap with mortar underneath the roof and it would look ugly. He has also decided to add slate undercloaks which my house did not have before. He cut the slate to 100mm wide and nailed and screwed onto the battens. I went up the scaffolding today and took pictures. i also did some research online, and now i can see that battens should be over the undercloak, but on my roof the top line of batten is at the same height as the bargeboards. so I somehow understand why he did this, but if I were him, I would have waited until the new wood has been added, and attach the undercloak onto it. The undercloak projects only 25mm above the bargeboard due to the 15mm thick wood added.

i am concerned how he is doing my roof. I am a single woman from abroad and has little knowledge of DIY, let alone building and roofing. I know nobody to ask. Please see the photos advise if he is doing ok or not. 5th photo is the original.

this project is really causing me Sleepless nights….

Attachments

• IMG_3512.jpeg
    IMG_3512.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3511.jpeg
    IMG_3511.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3491.jpeg
    IMG_3491.jpeg
    378.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3382.jpeg
    IMG_3382.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1763.jpeg
    IMG_1763.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Ok, so what need to be done now? ask him to continue? or remove the new wood covering? What is the best solution?
also I don’t like the look of how the wet verge was done and it’s colour. Is the mortar too thick or ok?

Attachments

• IMG_3442.jpeg
    IMG_3442.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 52
Ok, so what need to be done now? ask him to continue? or remove the new wood covering? What is the best solution?
also I don’t like the look of how the wet verge was done and it’s colour. Is the mortar too thick or ok?
That bedding has been hit by rain or frost and he has been clumsy or lazy with it. We like to bed our tiles well into the muck so that the kick (from the mortar) is minimal or invisible.

Now that i have narrower over hang, should I
1. remove the wood covering and the slate undercloak to make the roof back to original,
2. just remove the wood, leave the undercook, or
3. any other good option?

please help me…!

Now that i have narrower over hang, should I
1. remove the wood covering and the slate undercloak to make the roof back to original,
2. just remove the wood, leave the undercook, or
3. any other good option?

please help me…!
The wood 'capping' has been fitted to cover the ends of the roofing battens, because of the way he fitted the under cloak - i.e. directly above the battens as opposed to directly beneath them.

The wood 'capping' has been fitted to cover the ends of the roofing battens, because of the way he fitted the under cloak - i.e. directly above the battens as opposed to directly beneath them.
Do you mean, we need fit capping on the end of batten to protect its wood?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back