Battens, Undercloak, and Underlay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Should I bed in the undercloak onto the verge before laying battens or after?

Should I run the battens right uo and over the undercloak so that the verge slate mortar envelopes the batten or should the mortar steer clear of the batten?

Should the underlay go part way over the end wall so that the undercloak mortar encompasses the end wall and underlay before bedding in the underlcoak?

Just trying to get things done in the right order and the right way??????

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks - But you could tuck the underlay under the undercloak after the undercloak has been laid, or put the undercloak on after the underlay and battens have been laid. It seemed easier to me to put the undercloak on first, as you can stand in the roofspace etc. Would that be a plan?

Secondly, I have seen in "Roof Tiling and Slating" book, an image of a verge being laid which shows the batten touching the mortar, perhaps level with the verge wall, leaving about 50mm for the remainder of the undercloak to overhang the verge wall. It seems a good idea to run the battens as far as you can go so that the verge slates so that you can nail the slate in closer to the verge - I see this is a problem from the link, but could you use some damp proof membrane to go over the end of the batten to avoid the mortar touching the batten instead??

Unless you are fitting a dry verge system then the batten should be cut back about 40mm in from the edge of the verge cloak, when using the wet (mortar) bedded system.

We always fit the membrane on top of the cloak, however some instructions show it differently.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - and doing it your way, how far would you run the membrane past the batten end, just a tad to take the mortar?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back