Verge Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having UPVC replacement faciaa and soffits fitted. Unfortunately on stripping off the old boards extensive rot has been discovered in the gable ladder, ie in the 4" x2" outer part.

The contractors are splicing in new treated wood but as I have Redland Cambrian slates that are nailed and clipped and can't be lifted, they are nailing the fibre board undercloak to the new wood before nailing it to the ladder noggins. This means that the felt becomes on top of the undercloak rather than underneath it. I'm being assurred that this is OK but research on the internet suggests otherwise as any water getting onto the undercloak could flow under the felt. I have a mortar verge.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Moderator's note:
Welcome to the forums.
Please have a look at Forum Rules
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19448

I will remove your other post.

Mod Rupert

Sponsored Links
Did you get any problems with this.

I recently had my garage roof stripped, new underfelt (Tyvek Supro) laid. I seem to recall that they laid concrete fibre boards along each verge and the felt overlapped on top of them, not underneath. These are now concreted up to form a wet verge.

Also, whilst I'm on the subject, on one gable end the overhang is around 50mm from the UPVC Barge Board, but on the other gable end it has got to be double that, and the tiles along the eaves on one side have, in my opinion only just got enough overhang into the gutter, about 30mm horizontal in from the gutter edge, or of meaured from the fascia about 45mm to the tail of the tile, bottom right hand corner of overlap (double roman tiles). The Tyvek underlay then protrudes out to around the middle of the gutter floor, so may well rot.

Finger Crossed it will last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back