fence panel 1 cm too big - how to reduce in size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing some of my rotted lap fence panels with new ones, but need to use the existing posts.

The new fence panels are approximately 6 foot wide, as are the gaps between the fence posts. This makes the fit too tight - the panel is often around 1/2 to 1 cm too wide, sometimes due to some of the individual "laps" in the panel protruding very slightly beyond the end battens on the panel (not enough to was) , but more usually due to the batten to batten width itself being too wide for the gap the panel has to fit into.

I therefore need to reduce the panel width slightly.

The amount of 0.5cm to 1cm to be removed seems too small to make it worthwhile removing and repositioning an end batten on each of my panels. Is there a way of sanding/planing the edge of the panel down instead? for example, would an electric planer do it? If there is a tool/method I could use, what is it.

I am a basic DIYer but with access to local tool hire shops. The panels are cheap panels so cost is a consideration.

Sponsored Links
You can cut any of the laps that extend, you can also remove the end strips, reposition & then cut the laps.
I would expect that if you trimmed the laps, you would beable to force the panel in.

You could probably lose 5mm off each side without reducing the strength very much. Electric planer is the easiest way.

Wabbit Poo is right, 5mm off each side won't ruin anything in a big way. you can sand that or plane it down quite easily.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back