Fencing (Feather Edge)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking to put up a 6ft fence nothing too fancy really:

Gap width (top of wall): 3.6m - 3 posts (Uc4 post, 100mm x 100mm x 2400mm)

drop of 70cm to another level of ground (paving slab at an angel holding ground up) - 2m Gap to fill on the lower ground which requires a gate.

1x Uc4 Post, 100mm x 100mm x 3000mm (might be cut down a bit so I can slope the fence over the paving slab but I will wait to see how it looks - I will also have a spare 2400mm post should I decide to change the look).

another 1 or 2 2400mm posts on the lower ground to connect to a masonry wall and build a gate to.

However I'm not fully sure what measurements of rail to use, I do like the look of how this one was done:
http://www.mgohandyman.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/footer/fencing-www1.jpg

at a guess I'd say it's 25mm (width) x 50mm (height) does this sound about right? - I'd use 3 of these between each post has shown in the picture. I also like the rails nails onto the front of the post so I think I will go along with that.

So materials break down:
1x Uc4 Post, 100mm x 100mm x 3000mm

5x Uc4 post, 100mm x 100mm x 2400mm

7x 25mm x 50mm x 5.4 (treated) for the rails

7x 20KG postcrete bags

60 feather edge fencing boards (more then I need but some can go back after) - not sure if it get 100mm or 150mm width (from Wickes)

Galvanised Nails 50mm x 2.65mm for the feather edge fencing

What size screw what you recommend for screwing the rails to the post? 100mm?

Any problems with this?

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sounds ok except to say the horizontal rails look to be at least 25mm x 75mm at a guess.

Sponsored Links
Timber Gravel board?
Look in toolstation for there green/organic timber deck screws, there cheap for a box of 200, used them on my fencing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back