Fernco or soil to drain adapter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

As you may have seen from my previous thread I am replacing my pitch fibre soil pipe with plastic and was advised to use a Fernco rubber adapter coupling to join the plastic onto the old pitch fibre at the bottom. However, I have since found a Marley Soil to Drain adapter as shown in the picture....

SA421.gif

....and wondered if this would be more suitable for the job because the soil pipe will fit inside this and there would be less chance of leakage. This adapter will fit into the exiting pipe at the bottom of the soil pipe and I thought this might be a more professional way of doing the job. My only concern is that the bottom of this adapter is only 80mm inside diameter to allow for the rubber seals and I was concerned that solid waste from the upstairs toilet might get stuck here and cause a blockage.

What does anyone think of this or would I just be better off going with the Fernco.

Many thanks

Russell

Sponsored Links
Swings and roundabouts really.

As per your observation on the other topic, the Fernco doens't offer much mechanical strength, whereas the Marley adaptor (I think McAlpine do one too) is very strong along the axis of the pipe.

I wouldn't be too concerned about I.D., because it's a vertical pipe, but the distinct advantage of the Fernco is that it can act as a slip coupler. If this isn't important to you then I'd go with the Marley/McAlpine fitting.

Sponsored Links
You should see some of the "solid waste" my son produces. He eats us out of house & home and then procedes to block the toilet :LOL:

Anyway, thanks for the response, a slip coupling isn't important and seeing as I've already got the marley one I will go with that.

I'll try not to bother you all any more

Many thanks

Russell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back