Fernox Superconcentrate - injecting via a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Anyone had experience of using the Fernox Superconcentrate products?

Just tried to use it, injecting via a radiator, got to the point where I had connected it to the air-vent, next instruction told me to open the wheel-head valve, which I did - the re-pressure was basically too much for the set up to cope with - water and product everywhere...

Turned off the wheel-head valve and managed to get some product in, with water coming out...

Not a successful outing!

Now I know I followed the instructions but I can't see how this would work, the statement in the instructions, "small amount of leakage" didn't quite reflect reality!

Would like to know if anyone has used this successfully and can point to where I went wrong - would like to re-try this....

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Definately reads;

7. Open the wheel-head valve (or TRV) and inject the Fernox superconcentrate into the system by squeezing the trigger of the mastic gun repeatedly until the cartridge is empty. Re-close the wheel-head valve (or TRV). Release the pressure in the radiator by pressing the ratchet (Small Steel Plate) on the mastic gun.

- problem is, openning the wheel-head valve causes the pressure to knock out the kit, if I do this without openning the valve (as I did at the end with the remaining juice) for the amount of product in, the same amount of water has to come out - not the best solution!

Gilly10 said:
for the amount of product in, the same amount of water has to come out - not the best solution!
Ahhh.........Archimedes ;) I`d get onto them and complain ;) you may get a free tube and modified instructions:cool:

Sponsored Links
Hmm - the law of physics... :(

Really interested in how other people have used the product if I can't rely on the supplied instructions :confused:

Normally you close the rad valves, drain some of the radiator into a tub and then inject the superconcentrate - upon completion open up the rad valves

I dont rate this type at all to be honest its a pain in the backside to use - Have you a towel rail at all ? turn the rad valves off, drain some water off then apply the inhibitor through a funnel or something ( assuming you dont have F&E tank that is )

Thanks leakyliam... Now going to what's probably a dumb question - what's the best way to drain the water off? I assume it's to actually loosen the radiator connection to the valve?

Don't have a tank...

Close off the rad valves and crack the nut at the radiator - Make sure you place a tub underneath and have a towel on hand !!! Shouldn't take long as they dont actually hold that much water ( beware when you undo the bleed pip as the shift in pressure will force the water out of the cracked nut if you haven't done it up !! )

Good luck :D

Thanks leakyliam - will give it a go over the weekend - I'm a bit surprised at the poor instructions, if anyone else has had a go at this and succeeded please let me know...

I use them reguarly and have very little spillage.

Are you following the instructions.

Took the towel radiator advice - this worked great, releasing the bleed key resulted in a trickle rather than a flow which was happening with the radiators, used a hose to remove water (the old suck on the end trick) then filled up with the superconcentrate, topped up with water, put the bleed key back in and open the valves - heating is now running to distribute through the system... All is good...

Thanks...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back