ferroli modena 80e Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a ferroli modena 80e Bolier that up until 3 days ago was working fine, however it has developed a problem that is somewhat baffling me. When you first turn the central heating on it fires up for about 30 seconds then turns itself off, then straight away it will fire up again for about another 5 seconds before it shuts down completely and the red boiler light comes on, meaning its shut itself off.

If i reset it and put it back on it then works fine, and will be fine for the rest of the day / night.

This would not really bother me just re setting it etc to make it work but obviously its not good when you set it to come on while ur in bed in the morning. As with it being the first time in the day it wont come on and will need ressetting.

Does it sound like the boiler is on its way out or could it be an obvious simple fix?

Thanks for any help

Chris

Sponsored Links
Sounds like an airflow problem - corgi territory.

Sounds like lack of circulation, pump dead or dying. These boilers have some very strange reactions to dirt though. I seem to remember a similar symptom that turned out to be the wrong flue restrictor, but too long ago to be sure.

Sponsored Links
if it is locking out[red light] it may require a couple of stats top rhs and lhs
as well as thermisters[always change in pairs]plus a proper service to check exp vessel and fan/flue,when was it last serviced correctly?not just a lick and wipe :LOL:

ok thanks, whats the typical price for gettting a new pump fitted if it was to be that? just a rough idea??

would depend on the pump, they can be 30 or 130, can't remember what yours has, but i don't think it is the dear one

very unlikely to be the pump,get your service person to check the pump connection it has a habit of melting :eek: a genuine ferrolli pump is ferkin expensive stick a grundfoss 15/60 head on much cheaper.
you say it was serviced was the exp vessel checked as well as ign gas pressure, min burner pressure set,flow rates tried and tested,did the person who serviced it strip and clean the fan?these boilers are a pita to set up correctly and do drift out of set up.edit just seen bens post if the restrictor is fitted get your service person to remove it

again thanks for all ur help, i dont really know what he did to be honest, i guess ill have to call someone out to look at it

We have quite a few of these on our patch im afraid and they are constantly going down ,they are pretty crap boilers, heat exchangers need flushing regularly and were always changing thermistors and such.
But seeing as most were fitted by dodgy foreigners without flushing etc its no surprise.
We have been to 2 such today late on with almost identical problems, will tell you how we get on tomorrow.Didnt have time today,and darent condemn anymore at work this week :LOL:

Hi

How did u get on with the two with simliar problems?

Just to add a little meat to the problem, i watched what it did when i tried to start it tonight, it makes a kinda whurring noise, and you can see the led light flickiering on the control panel for the heating as its trying to start up. It will then go on for 5 seconds and go straight out, it will then try to start up again and just go on the red shut down light.

When you try again it starts up with a loudish whhooosssshhh sound as if its cleared something and it will be fine. It will then be fine all night and if u turn it off after an hour or so and put it straight back on again it will come on first time no problem. its only when you leave it over night or during the day and you go to put it back on again that it does the same again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back