Ferroli Optima 701- Hot water delay.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alright All,

I've a problem with my boiler that i'm hoping is fairly simple/inexpensive!

The hot water on demand is taking a huge amount of time to kick in. As in 5mins or so. The tap is right next to the boiler, and the fan kicks in straight away, but the 'click' and sound of the gas lighting then takes five minutes or so to happen. After which hot water arrives quickly.

I'm wondering if (hoping) its a setting thats set too sensitive. Or perhaps a sensor which now picks up at a different level. Maybe the overtemperature sensor. I've had that kick in when i've been running the tap very slow and that takes about 5mins to recover.

The thing is its consistently slow. And seems to be getting worse, hence this post!

Maybe its the pcb degrading in an odd way, who knows.

Hope thats not too much information!!

Many thanks,
Huw

Sponsored Links
There are so many possibilities that its not worthwhile to guess.

My best guess however is that its something associated with combustion conditions but you would need a competent CORGI for that as I cannot advise on gas safety aspects on a public forum.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

I had spoke to a Corgi eng on the phone, and his approach was clearly to replace parts and see if it solves it. Hence i thought it might be useful to try and get some insight into the problem myself first!

I think i'll try and ring around a few and maybe gauge their testing/diagnosis abilities! I think it would be worth getting in a very experienced eng who'd suss it first time and save throwing expensive parts at it.

I really wonder if there is a facility for delaying the boiler lighting as it would be handy if people are only rinsing their hands and not filling a sink. Mine just takes much too long.

Anyway, i'll have a look around,

Cheers,
Huw

iam willin to bet its the fan venturi, ive had this problem a few times n it only takes 5min to clean.. but couldnt say for cert without lookin at it

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony,

I had spoke to a Corgi eng on the phone, and his approach was clearly to replace parts and see if it solves it. Hence i thought it might be useful to try and get some insight into the problem myself first!

Cheers,
Huw

A parts changer is not much of an engineer!

Any competent boiler engineer should be able to diagnose the fault without changing any parts.

Tony

Now we're talking, glad they exist! (Engineers who diagnose and then replace). I'll definately use this advice to find the right one then.

Plus cheers gaz, i'll mention that to the engineer on the day. I like the sound of a 5min cleaning solution. Touch wood the boiler has been consistent since i moved in in jan so i was thinking its surely unlikely to be outright breakage. (Hope that extra information doesn't change the picture i painted too much)

Cheers,
Huw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back