Few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, I have an electric shower that requires wiring up. Its 9.5kw and the cable is about a 20 meter run going through some trunking and the loft, which has insulation. Can some one explain to me what size of cable is required as i dont exactly know how to use the correction factors.

Then, once this is installed what type of mcb is required, i calculated 41 amps for this shower, is that right?, if so will it be a 45amp mcb?

Any help would be great!

Sponsored Links
Luke1 said:
Firstly, I have an electric shower that requires wiring up. Its 9.5kw and the cable is about a 20 meter run going through some trunking and the loft, which has insulation. Can some one explain to me what size of cable is required as i dont exactly know how to use the correction factors.

Then, once this is installed what type of mcb is required, i calculated 41 amps for this shower, is that right?, if so will it be a 45amp mcb?

Any help would be great!

best use 10mm cable. also means you wont have to change it in future.

your right about the amps. but it might be rated at 240V which means itll be 39A but still go for the 45A MCB. also, is there any RCD protection?

Also, are you aware of part P?

Theres an RCD protecting the whole mains, rated at 30mA.

Yeh im aware of part P, as i work for an electric company im goin to get one of the guys from there to assist with it. Just wanted to make sure on everything before starting really.

So are you aware of part F ventilation, part H drainage and waste disposal? Part L conservation of heat and power. Has your house had an energy audit and will this new electric shower make it worse? Are you aware of the vehicle speed regulations while driving home? Why do people keep quoting only part P?

Sponsored Links
part P is a big deal atm because its new

i'm pretty damn sure that it will fade into obscurity like so many other widely ignored building regs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back