FF Fridge Freezer working intermittently in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hotpoint FFA97 which we've moved into our garage. It was running ok until early december and since then the freezer is often too warm for long periods of time (and the fridge also). After a while the compressor will start up and fan run and it will cool down for a while - sometimes reaching desired operating temperature sometimes not, and then it will stop cooling again for a while.

I don't think it's a problem with either the freezer or fridge thermister as the lcd display shows that the fridge knows that both fridge and freezer compartments are too warm.

Manual is here: http://dl.owneriq.net/4/46e52edd-6f42-4f9c-9cd4-eb0dca552532.pdf

I've read that keeping fridge freezer in garage can cause problems when cold but since I don't understand why I can't know if this might be the reason. We've had a lot of building work done and so there has been a lot of dust etc in the garage so could something have got bunged up?

I took the back off the inside of the freezer and noticed that the one of the two pipes coming into the freezer is frosting over - not sure if that means anything though - prob just because I've got the back off and extra moisture is in the air - but I think that means that it's not the defrost circuit stuck on for too long (as wouldn't that cause that element to be heated?).

Anyway, you can probably tell I don't really know what I'm talking about! But I'd like to prove my wife wrong and save some money by fixing it myself rather than looking on e-bay for a replacement.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
First of all u can't replace the thermistor on this model it's foamed in. The LCD will be flashin in the corner if it's got a problem. Also the 2 pipes are surposed to be iced up they are part of the freezer not the defrost heater. Try a 24 hr total defrost and see what happens. But it will cause problems in the garage if it's cold. And no dust can block it up do don't worry about that.

The ambient temp must be above 10c as only the temp of the fridge is monitored so when the fridge is at temp it stays off thus the freezer will defrost

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies.

Ambient is well above 10 degrees at the moment. The LCD display has an up arrow on it next to the fridge (and freezer) desired temperatures. The manual says that means the fridge is cooling to reach those temperatures. (although obviously it's not!)

I'll leave it turned off and open for 24 hours as you suggest and try again tomorrow and report back.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back