Hotpoint fridge freezer FFA97 Freezer too cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a Hotpoint FFA97 fridge freezer.

We've recently defrosted it, following problems with icing up at the bottom of the freezer and leaks onto the kitchen floor. We also cleaned up the area behind the back plate and dried it off. We left it for 48 hours.

We've now turned it back on again and the fridge seems to be OK. But the freezer is too cold. The dial reads +17c, but our thermometer inside the freezer is currently at -30c, possibly still decreasing (it was -23c half an hour ago!).

We assume it's a problem with the thermostat - any advice would be welcome please, before we start hunting for a new freezer (not a Hotpoint!)

Sponsored Links
Hi Dragonfly89,

Just doing a search to find out if there was anyone else out there who has/had the same problem as us. We've got a Hotpoint RZA50 which we have actually had for about 4/5 years now and ever since we've had it I felt it was too cold (Approx -35c in fact) but regrettably I didnt do anything about or follow it up with Hotpoint in the beginning - Why? Well you think it must be a host of reasons other than a fault but gradually over time you realise it must be a fault as things are just too rock hard and the freezer ices up so quickly (especially at the top). Unfortunately HOTPOINT were not interested when I eventually contacted them about it as they said it was out of warranty by this time which of course it was -I should have brought to their attention sooner! Anyway, I would have to pay for a call out, labour and parts etc etc

Dragonfly89 - What was the outcome with your freezer? Did you solve it or just just cut your losses and get a new freezer? (Definitely not a HOTPOINT!!)

Would be great to hear from you on it or anyone who may know about these things? :unsure:

Cheers

John

Hi there John,

It was interesting to hear from you. Nothing much has changed, we're still labouring on and haven't really sorted it out.

We turned the fridge/freezer off and on a few times but it wasn't making much difference, so we decided we hadn't left it long enough before turning it on again. So last time, we turned it right off for some time and completely defrosted it. We cleaned the inside workings of the freezer, mostly unblocking some pipes. To get at it we had to take off the panel inside the freezer at the back which has about eight screws in. We found all that from a recommendation on a diy forum - sorry, can't remember which one, but if I can find my notes, I'll put another posting onto this thread.

It was great for a few days, but then the freezer started getting colder and colder, and we bought a second freezer thermometer to check it. After a few days the thermometer stopped working - it was probably too cold for it!! So that's where we are now, and will hopefully leave it as it is till after Christmas.

We've got a spare freezer anyway, and have borrowed a small fridge in case of emergencies.

Fridge stopped working for a while in the middle of all this - but it is now OK but the temperature indicator has stopped working.

Serious research into new fridge-freezers will be under way soon!

Best wishes!

Hi Dragonfly89,

Thanks for your follow-up and update. My wife has now finished defrosting our freezer (which is what prompted me to look into this problem again), cleaned drawers etc and reloaded everything (which were still frozen solid even after about 6 hours). So everything is back as was with freezer working it's socks of to get down to it's usual minimum temperature.
Meanwhile I emailed Hotpoint to ask about parts as I decided I would have a go a replacing one or more parts myself rather than get them out to fix it as it would likely be in the region of £150-£200 or more. I have to ring them to get part details (as they're not listed on their website) and they won't offer any advice or help as to what might be the cause without coming out (even though I have stressed it's been like this since we've had it which is why I'm sure it's a faulty part rather than a blockage etc).

I'm still not sure what to do:
a)Leave as is and put up with granite hard ice cream etc everytime we take something out not to mention the probable high electricity usage?
b)Get replacement controller and/or thermostat and try and fit myself?
c) Get Hotpoint in at great expense but in theory ensure proper fix?
d) Get someone else in that may or may not know what to do at slightly less cost?
e) Buy a reliable Freezer such as a Bosch, Liebher or Miele and discard what should be a perfectly good freezer?

Will probably leave the decision until after Christmas too as money is disappearing at an incredible rate at the moment on many other things - it will have to remain a slightly lower priority.

All the best

John

Sponsored Links
The only thing you can change on it is the top pcb that controls it. It has themostat and themisistor included in the pcb. You have a sensor fault which is foamed in it cannot be changed. The pcb with switch over and control it. 6 hrs is not long enough to defrost 24 hrs is best it has to defrost the internal tubes. Golden rule defrost twice a year April and oct. When the clocks go back and forward.

Thanks for that Rocks1, that would explain why there wasnt any separate controller or thermostat listed. I'll look into that then and see if it's affordable as well something I could do myself.

Also, thanks for the info on defrosting, my wife has always approached it as a means of clearing the visible ice from inside and drawers. Her immediate thought to this recommendation is "What do you do with the frozen food for 24hrs" if you don't have somewhere to store it?

Anyway, looks like you have pointed me in the right direction so I might yet get to a satisfactory solution - cheers :D

Hi John and Rocks 1,

Many thanks for all the comments.

Rocky 1 - Where do you get the pcb from?

We'd defrosted our freezer over weveral days, as we've got a small spare one for emergencies and entertaining, so we've obviously done the right thing and hopefully now our problem is sorted out. But we're keeping a wary eye on it.

At the moment we're leaving well enough alone, as the saying goes, and our ice cream is a nice consistency - we're not feasting on granite!

But in the middle of this we're reminding ourselves that VAT goes up on 1st January to 20%!

Happy Christmas to all.

Just thought I'd mention that since my last msg about our freezer being too cold and at the time, having taken the front panel off to see if I could adjust or do something to the controller (whilst the freezer was being defrosted) I'm really pleased to report the temperature has since been more like it should be infact I just checked the temperature gauge and it's about -20c.
We don't have ice building up on the drawers and ice cream is actually edible straight from the freezer!
I can't think what I did but what ever it was it's done the trick! :cool: Saved a few pounds providing it stays this way...... :D

Responding to the below comment although i realize it is about 2 years old.

I have the very same problem, I am fed up with it, I can not get my fridge and my freezer at an acceptable temperature, it is either one or the other, if I set it to 3 like the manual advises the fridge is fine but the freezer goes far too cold. For example, I like a certain kind of mini pizzas, they go in the microwave for 3 and half minutes..they are ok as long as I do not store them in my freezer any more than 48 hours, or else when i make these pizzas, they are cooked round the edges and solid brick hard in the middle. Also had some unpleasant experiences with lasagna and some other meaty meals. They obviously freeze too much.

As for service from Hotpoint, today I am actually very angry.
What is so irritating about the whole thing is...away at the beginning when I first go this fridge freezer a man came out and he agreed that there was something not right about my fridge freezer, so he tried replacing the control panel. Needless to say in no time at all I was aware that it was just acting the same way my fridge freezer. Then I called them up again, another man came out and made out there was nothing wrong with my fridge freezer..I asked him...then why did the other man put in a new control panel?...his reply was "as a precaution"...I said well if I am using the timing guidelines on the back of a pizza it shouldn't come out brick hard in the middle, he then said " put it in for longer then"...I said..."I shouldn't have to do that if the thing is working properly"
Long story short, the man went away, I have just been using my fridge part and avoiding the freezer for about 6 months then I decided to call them out again..what is so frustrating is ...just the same pattern....the same first man came out as before, he put in a new control panel again, which I knew would be a waste of time..so I had to call them out again...and you guessed right..the very same second man came out and again said there was nothing wrong with my fridge freezer, I have had the thing for almost a year and I know there is something far wrong with it, so i am not happy to be told by a man that there is nothing wrong with it.
I was almost arguing with the man today. Annoying , same pattern as before, the same first man said there was something wrong with it and the same second man said there was nothing wrong with it when I know that there is.
When this second man left my house today, I called up my friend and she asked me "did you get the mans name", I looked out the window and seen his van was still there, so i ran out and asked his name..his reply was "it is on the sheet I left"..I said ok..went back into my house and looked at the sheet, his name wasn't on it at all, although there is an engineer number..so I am actually suspicious as to why he was so reluctant to give me his name. Also I know he just fobbed me off again and I am stuck with a fridge freezer that does not work..
I have put in a complaint but I am not happy and very doubtful I will ever get this resolved unless I buy another fridge freezer, which is ludicrous...I always thought Hotpoint were good make in kitchen appliances...it looks like I was wrong and their service is absolutely no good at all...got no where except getting me up at the crack of dawn for nothing. I am fed up with it...it is costing me fortune on food as I am really having to live without a freezer and i have spoiled at least 3 amounts of food because of trying to see the fridge part as well...I had to find somewhere to let this out I am so angry today. Also by the way my fridge freezer is the FF range model number as well.

Thanks for reading.

Hi Dragonfly89,

Just doing a search to find out if there was anyone else out there who has/had the same problem as us. We've got a Hotpoint RZA50 which we have actually had for about 4/5 years now and ever since we've had it I felt it was too cold (Approx -35c in fact) but regrettably I didnt do anything about or follow it up with Hotpoint in the beginning - Why? Well you think it must be a host of reasons other than a fault but gradually over time you realise it must be a fault as things are just too rock hard and the freezer ices up so quickly (especially at the top). Unfortunately HOTPOINT were not interested when I eventually contacted them about it as they said it was out of warranty by this time which of course it was -I should have brought to their attention sooner! Anyway, I would have to pay for a call out, labour and parts etc etc

Dragonfly89 - What was the outcome with your freezer? Did you solve it or just just cut your losses and get a new freezer? (Definitely not a HOTPOINT!!)

Would be great to hear from you on it or anyone who may know about these things? :unsure:

Cheers

John

Same problem here, read my experience please...it is really frustrating.

We've got a Hotpoint FFA97 fridge freezer.

We've recently defrosted it, following problems with icing up at the bottom of the freezer and leaks onto the kitchen floor. We also cleaned up the area behind the back plate and dried it off. We left it for 48 hours.

We've now turned it back on again and the fridge seems to be OK. But the freezer is too cold. The dial reads +17c, but our thermometer inside the freezer is currently at -30c, possibly still decreasing (it was -23c half an hour ago!).

We assume it's a problem with the thermostat - any advice would be welcome please, before we start hunting for a new freezer (not a Hotpoint!)

Hi 2cold2eat,
I can only sympaphise with your plight, very frustrating for you to say the least. We've still got our Hotpoint Freezer, and still have to have it on it's minimum setting to try and keep it from being too cold but I know it's still not right as you can hear it running more often than not and stuff inside is still harder than you might expect.
We have also just defrosted it as it was getting iced up badly once again.
I keep considering investing in a different freezer (Liebher would be my choice in future) but it goes against the grain even though we've had this thing for a few years now. I don't think I could sell it on so I would have to take it to the local tip which seems a crazy thing to be doing.
Anyway, hope you resolve your fridge/freezer problem one way or another as it doesnt sound like you can go on with things as they are.

Regards
John

I have the very same problem, I am fed up with it, I can not get my fridge and my freezer at an acceptable temperature, it is either one or the other, if I set it to 3 like the manual advises the fridge is fine but the freezer goes far too cold. For example, I like a certain kind of mini pizzas, they go in the microwave for 3 and half minutes..they are ok as long as I do not store them in my freezer any more than 48 hours, or else when i make these pizzas, they are cooked round the edges and solid brick hard in the middle. Also had some unpleasant experiences with lasagna and some other meaty meals. They obviously freeze too much.

What is so irritating about the whole thing is...away at the beginning when I first go this fridge freezer a man came out and he agreed that there was something not right about my fridge freezer, so he tried replacing the control panel. Needless to say in no time at all I was aware that it was just acting the same way my fridge freezer. Then I called them up again, another man came out and made out there was nothing wrong with my fridge freezer..I asked him...then why did the other man put in a new control panel?...his reply was "as a precaution"...I said well if I am using the timing guidelines on the back of a pizza it shouldn't come out brick hard in the middle, he then said " put it in for longer then"...I said..."I shouldn't have to do that if the thing is working properly"
Long story short, the man went away, I have just been using my fridge part and avoiding the freezer for about 6 months then I decided to call them out again..what is so frustrating is ...just the same pattern....the same first man came out as before, he put in a new control panel again, which I knew would be a waste of time..so I had to call them out again...and you guessed right..the very same second man came out and again said there was nothing wrong with my fridge freezer, I have had the thing for almost a year and I know there is something far wrong with it, so i am not happy to be told by a man that there is nothing wrong with it.
I was almost arguing with the man today. Annoying , same pattern as before, the same first man said there was something wrong with it and the same second man said there was nothing wrong with it when I know that there is.
When this second man left my house today, I called up my friend and she asked me "did you get the mans name", I looked out the window and seen his van was still there, so i ran out and asked his name..his reply was "it is on the sheet I left"..I said ok..went back into my house and looked at the sheet, his name wasn't on it at all, although there is an engineer number..so I am actually suspicious as to why he was so reluctant to give me his name. Also I know he just fobbed me off again and I am stuck with a fridge freezer that does not work..
I have put in a complaint but I am not happy and very doubtful I will ever get this resolved unless I buy another fridge freezer, which is ludicrous...I always thought Hotpoint were good make in kitchen appliances...it looks like I was wrong and their service is absolutely no good at all...got no where except getting me up at the crack of dawn for nothing. I am fed up with it...it is costing me fortune on food as I am really having to live without a freezer and i have spoiled at least 3 amounts of food because of trying to see the fridge part as well...I had to find somewhere to let this out I am so angry today. Also by the way my fridge freezer is the FF range model number as well.

Thanks for reading.

Hi Dragonfly89,

Cheers

John

Theres a mod for these ff. it requires a rear duct and foam seal that will cure it from over freezing.

I have actually lodge a complaint with the company and also I called again and I said that I felt I was being fobbed off to save giving me a new fridge freezer. The good news is I got some sort of result there (I think) as the person taken details and said a senior technician will call me within 24 hours and arrange a day to come out and look at my fridge freezer and she said that if he thinks it is faulty I will get a new one. That sounds good but it makes me even more worried, as if he com,es out and just like the last man claims that it is fine, I can't see that I could do anything about it.
Also I called last night and as this is Saturday when they say 24 hours does it make any difference that the next day was the weekend? I never thought to ask that. But I am going to show the senior technician my computer and this forum to let him see I am into the only person with problems with these machines and Hotpoint are really giving themselves a bad name. Their products aren't much good and the customer service stinks even more. There are not many company's though who are good at after buy service, with most of them now anyway it is a case of...you bought it...you got a problem ....tough..rarely nowadays you get good after buy service...which is a shame as that is really important...good luck with yours.
Oh yes the other thing is even if they do replace it, as far as I know htey try and replace it with the same model.which is not appealing either but at least there is a chance that it would be working properly..just simple that fridge freezer has been a REALLY bad buy.

Hi 2cold2eat,
I can only sympaphise with your plight, very frustrating for you to say the least. We've still got our Hotpoint Freezer, and still have to have it on it's minimum setting to try and keep it from being too cold but I know it's still not right as you can hear it running more often than not and stuff inside is still harder than you might expect.
We have also just defrosted it as it was getting iced up badly once again.
I keep considering investing in a different freezer (Liebher would be my choice in future) but it goes against the grain even though we've had this thing for a few years now. I don't think I could sell it on so I would have to take it to the local tip which seems a crazy thing to be doing.
Anyway, hope you resolve your fridge/freezer problem one way or another as it doesnt sound like you can go on with things as they are.

Regards
John

Thanks for reading.

Hi Dragonfly89,

Cheers

John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back