Fibolite blocks-any issues?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again all,

I've got an enquiry regarding a 9" block wall to be rendered then painted.
I personally have no qualms about using plasmor fibolites, have used them on innumerable occasions and think that they would do the job admirably.
Obviously with a suitable eng dpc and coping.
The plasterer however is of a different mind and prefers Tarmac hemelite blocks. His preference is based on the suction of the block when rendered, stating to the client that fibolites would "dry too quickly and crack the render".
Personally, I find hemelites inferior in every way and suggested, in a "blue sky thinking" kind of way that said spread wet the F$@&ing wall down first if he had a problem of this kind.
In the recent past, I've built storage sheds & at least one garage in fibolites, rendered etc and they appear to be hanging on in there.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Well I've not had much problems with AAC cracking but my friend has. What makes them crack? Is it temperature differences within the block? Is it moisture levels? Is it frost? Maybe the way I'm using them solves the problems by keeping them warm, by not allowing them dry out too quick, by not allowing them get too wet during construction, I don't know.

I dont quite know what "AAC" blocks are actually shan. As it happens, since posting this query, the plasterer has admitted his ignorance and we're back to fibolites.
But many thanks for your input, you seem to be in a minority of knowledgeable builders on this forum. Sadly it seems to be run by electricians and plumbers and lord knows we can never have too many of them :rolleyes:

Hi

Hi suction blocks can easily be rendered if you control the suction

Damping down the blocks as you suggested is a good start and the use on an SBR bonding agent also helps

Sponsored Links
Well that would be the logical solution, not that fibolites are that absorbent to require any special treatment. Given the long runs of this job, then it's a case of what ever the day demands. Perhaps I'll print off your reply DrBill and nail it to the plasterers head, which I think doubles as his kn*b.

Back