Field Mice in Garden - how to prevent them getting in house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just moved into newbuild bungalow in Dec & last week noticed holes in lawn beside walls of house. After a bit of googling it looks like voles (field mice) - saw 1 of the pesky things running into a hole too.
No evidence of them so far in the bungalow but want to obviously prevent them coming in (especially with the current cold conditions).
Is it worth buying one of these Electro-Magnetic and Ultrasonic plug in repellents as a deterrent? -

https://www.primrose.co.uk/pestbye-...erm=+sonic +mice&utm_content=Type: Sonic Mice

Has anyone had any success with them? Or should I wait and see if we do actually get any coming in? Is it worth putting a humane trap beside holes in garden?
Any ideas/opinions very welcome.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
More likely to be moles if theirs holes in the lawn; voles are native to America. If they're filed mice (thinner and longer than house mice), then they come in for a short while till it gets warmer, then leave.

Be nice to them if they're field mice, and use the sonic gadget on them of they're house mice.

See if you can determine where the services enter your house, Emma - water pipe, gas pipe, telephone, electric and so on - and check that there are no gaps around them. If there are, the mice will find them so consider blocking them up with spray foam or whatever.
I'd doubt if there was any great activity just now though - we seem to be rodent free around the beginning of December.
Also see if there are any gaps around sink drains and so on.
John :)

I've known shrews with long noses tunnel under lawns. Very small.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everybody - don't think its moles as no mounds of earth beside the holes & it definitely looked like a mouse. Just hoping they stay outside but think i'll buy one of these sonic plug ins as a precaution. If nothing else it'll keep the spiders at bay!
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back