Fiesta

O

oompah

My daughters 1995 1.1 fiesta will not start no petrol is entering the carb although i have petrol up to the carb, so i think that there is a inlet valve not working any ideas how to further fault find,

Sponsored Links
Are you getting a good supply to the carb. Have you removed the fuel pipe from the carb and had someone try start the car for you (while having the end of the hose in an empty bottle)
There should be regular pulses of petrol splurting out the pipe. If not then chances are it's the pump or a blocked inline filter.

If you are getting fuel there then the chances are the needle valve has stuck. If you look at the carb there will be the big hole and a probalby square bit next to it. Try tapping the square bit with the end of a screw driver and try it.

If not then you'll needto unscrew the top of the carb. There is a paper gasket inbetween the two parts. this may or may not survive being taken apart. Usually they are ok but, they can be stuck and tear. Always check for leaks after you start the car for the first time after having it appart.

Inside there will be a float on a pivot and on the end of that is the needle valve. This will be clogged/jammed/out of adjustment. Try flushing it with carb cleaner spray (or brake cleaner spray) which you'll get form a local motor factors or HellFrauds (where you'll pay more than you have to).

I'm afraid I don't know what the clearance should be for the needle valve but, a Haynes Manual will tell you and how to set it and what it should be (usually using a drill bit to get the correct space).

Be careful re-fitting it all and ensure the gasket is in place nad that you haven't knocked the float when you put it back in.

If you don't want to buy a Haynes I have seen them in my local Library, yours might have it or be able to get it for you.

Sponsored Links
Back