Figure of 8 - 2.5A connector or is it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife bought a icing cutting machine from USA. No problem came with a switch mode power supply 100 - 240 volt 1.2A input which used the standard figure of 8 two pin connector as used with many UK items so rooted about and found her a replacement lead set.

However I looked at the very heavy wire with moulded plug (USA flat pins) and socket and noted a large sticker saying "7 Amp 125 volt" now I thought the figure of 8 connector was rated at 2.5A so that would be nearly three times rated current. Normally I will use a 3A fuse with all figure of 8 connectors.
100px-IEC60320_C7.jpg
so is the C7 connector rated at 2.5A or 7A in USA.

Sponsored Links
2.5A.

Americans like big, heavy duty things. They don't mind if they're pointless and lying to them.

is 7A the rating of an American plug? What is their socket circuit rated at?

No wonder their kettles take a long time to boil...

Sponsored Links
is 7A the rating of an American plug? What is their socket circuit rated at?
Standard american plugs are 15A. They have 20A ones too.

Their 220V ones must be OK, surely?
I was under the impression that americans normally only used 220V domestically for cookers, heaters and clothes driers but I could be wrong there.

I was under the impression that americans normally only used 220V domestically for cookers, heaters and clothes driers but I could be wrong there.
Cookers, dryers, larger heating units and fixed air conditioners are the usual 240V residential applications. But a dedicated 240V socket can be provided for any higher powered appliance which might be needed (although the foregoing list covers most domestic stuff). Washing machines are normally only run on 120V as they don't have integral heaters.

Standard american plugs are 15A. They have 20A ones too.
And 30, 40, 50, 60A etc. for heavier duty use. But yes, the regular plugs found on small portable appliances are 120V 15A (but the cord to which they're attached might not be rated for 15A). Many sockets these days, especially in kitchens and similar areas, are designed to accept both 15 & 20A plugs.

The general-purpose 15A sockets can be on either a 15 or a 20A circuit.

I did a quick search earlier, and I found 220V kettles for sale with $ prices. But I didn't look at the details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back